Mablung

Holster Lining - Cow Shoulder or Sheepskin?

Title says most of the question. I’ve got a sheepskin and a cow single shoulder, both veg tan and both around 3 oz., I plan to use as lining. Sheepskin was purchased originally to line a glasses case. Then I got the single shoulder because it was a good price and useful for lots of things. Then I wondered which would be better for lining a holster I plan to make soon. All of my pistols have forward slide serrations, so I’m concerned about longevity of the lining. Veg tan the lining will be regardless, because I don’t want to use suede (due to the effects of chrome tannage and of grit getting caught up in the fibers—both are bad for a pistol’s finish). 

Thoughts?

Edited by Mablung

Shoulder in my opinion. Its tougher

Kinda where I’m leaning. I think the sheepskin will make a great glasses case lining, but the cow shoulder feels like it’ll withstand the abrasion and heavier use more easily. 

I don't use suede because of the possibility of holding dirt.  The chrome tan is a non issue.  There are some well respected companies that make certain IWB holsters exclusively out of chrome tanned leather with no issue.  

If you are worried about longevity go with the shoulder.  

Sheep is too soft, use moo skin

If you want to follow the advice of John Bianchi . . . one of THE top holster makers of the last 50 years . . . 

When you cut the piece for the outside of the holster . . . turn your  pattern over and cut another piece . . . that is the inside liner.

Been doing that for over 20 years . . . never been a problem yet . . . and I don't have to stock two different leathers.

May God bless,

Dwight

16 hours ago, Dwight said:

If you want to follow the advice of John Bianchi . . . one of THE top holster makers of the last 50 years . . . 

When you cut the piece for the outside of the holster . . . turn your  pattern over and cut another piece . . . that is the inside liner.

Been doing that for over 20 years . . . never been a problem yet . . . and I don't have to stock two different leathers.

May God bless,

Dwight

That’s good advice. I need to do a few holsters soon, so I’ll make liberal use of that advice. 

18 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Sheep is too soft, use moo skin

Yeah, didn’t realize just how soft it is until I was wrangling it to line a glasses case this evening. Not terrible to work with, but it was more difficult than I thought it would be. I’ll post a few pics of that case soon, if for no other reason to get everyone to share some collective disgust with my pattern and how messy the edges are going to be. It’ll be the world’s ugliest but bombproof glasses case.