KeriHat

Singer 20U33 thread guide pin fell off and tension spring issue (related)

Hello, I bought a new tension assembly for my Singer 20U33 and inserted it as per youtube university.

I then had 2 issues - the unit I was sent looks different than my original one, and didn't actually fit but I was assured it was correct.
Just in case I had accidentally ordered the wrong item, I placed another order and it's still the same as the first one they sent me, but fits (?)

However, the spring itself seems to sit higher and I wonder if this is causing issues as I can't quite get the tension.
It touches the "thread guide pin" from below when sewing which doesn't seem right.

This bring me to issue 2.

I fiddled with said pin and it fell out - now I can't get it to stay back in - are they screwed in - I don't see any "threads"? or do you bang it in with something? Or another less brutal option?

There's just a hole there and an ever-so-slightly tapered pin.

Thanks in advance for any help or insights!

Keri

original singer 20U33.jpg

Hi Keri,

Congrats on your new machine. I'm sorry, I am not near my machine at the moment, we had a pipe burst in my shop and stuff is in storage until we get finished and set back up again. I do see what you mentioned about your replacement part being different than the original part. I will say I've had that happen a few times! So what I usually do is put the parts back in that fit and only replace the necessary part(s). If you can get away with only replacing the spring and the discs, that might make it come together better? Just an idea. Hopefully you remember how you took out the other one. Don't bang it!

That's solid advice, thanks! - change the spring, don't bang anything - though in fairness, I meant the thread guide pin thingy, not the tension assembly, but you are still right.

Apparently changing the spring is more difficult than the whole assembly, but I have an extra so will give it a try.

Hopefully someone else will have a better option for the thread guide than a hammer ;)

So sorry to hear about your burst pipe. I hope you get back up and running soon!

@KeriHat The check spring is adjusted by rotating the assembly to the desired position before you tighten the retaining screw.  Do a search for setting the check spring.

Suzelle, you are a genius! I swapped out the springs and nut on my old tension assembly for the ones on the part that didn't fit and it looks like I will no longer have the problem of the spring touching the "pin" which I will call a "post" from now on as it's confusing.

Now if anyone knows if I just bang (lol) said post into the machine, I would be grateful :)

1 minute ago, Northmount said:

@KeriHat The check spring is adjusted by rotating the assembly to the desired position before you tighten the retaining screw.  Do a search for setting the check spring.

Hello, thank you for the info - I will use that when I go to refine my adjustment. Would you know anything about how to put the thread guide pin/post back on the machine?

My tension issue is solved, I believe - thanks all :)
But this is the part that fell out as I was fiddling with it - does anyone know how do I get it back in? There is no "thread" from what I can see - and will not go through to other side so there is no lost nut or anything. Tempted to tap it in with a hammer...

Cheers!

thread guide post.jpg

23 minutes ago, KeriHat said:

Would you know anything about how to put the thread guide pin/post back on the machine?

The pin must be slightly tapered.  Put some fingernail polish on it, tap it into place - gently.  Clean any oil off the pin and out of the hole first before applying fingernail polish (or other retaining compound such as Loctite - various formulations like Loctite 290 thread locker).

EDIT:  Do you have a manual for your machine?  Lots of manuals online for 20U33.

Just looked at my 20U33.  It doesn't have a pin.  My machine is blue, from about 1975 if I remember right.

Edited by Northmount
Added comment

Yes, it is very slightly tapered! I will try with the loctite or similar, thank you so much.

I have downloaded a manual, parts list and service manual but other than the name, that part isn't mentioned any further. Mine is the metallic one, more from the 80's I believe.

1 hour ago, KeriHat said:

I have downloaded a manual, parts list and service manual

Service manual should have instructions on setting the check spring position.

16 hours ago, dikman said:

Just curious, does it stitch ok without the pin?

I haven't tried but I would say no because the thread then drags the spring up too high from memory (it's in pieces at the moment)

Just to let everyone know, my machine is now sewing like a dream, thanks!

I fixed the pin/post with loctite and a wee tap, thanks to @Northmount

I swapped the tension springs from the new assembly that didn't fit for my old springs on the original assembly - thanks to @suzelle

I followed this video on youtube which helped a lot, though not the same machine.