Was thinking of storing/organizing my leather in cardboard tubes designed for cement. Will this dry out my leather?  

Tubes might be expensive overkill and maybe the sheer mass of the tube might draw moisture if your humidity got too high. The cardboard itself doesn't seem to pose a problem.

Here's an article more applicable to commercial storage but I think we can draw from it. Most of us probably don't need industrial steel racks:

https://www.worldofleathers.com/leather-care/how-to-store-leather-correctly-leather-storage-complete-guide/

Edited by AlZilla

Storage is dependent on your local in the world. I just keep mine in the  boxes they were shipped in but I live in a very low humidity part of the world so dampness, mold or humidity isn't a worry. You want your leather to stay dry and out of the sun,  rather than wet or damp or it will mold. 

I've been using tubes for about 20 years and know of people doing it longer. The tubes fit well into a Gorilla Rack system. When we were renting the place this wasn't insulated and during the winter it might be 40 degrees and 90% humidity in there and summers might be 100 degrees and 15% humidity. Not problem number one with the leather ever. Excuse the background of the pictures. These are from about 16 years ago right after we bought the place and were converting the garage to the leather shop. At one time I had three of these racks of leather mostly all in tubes. The skirting wasn't in tubes because I was going through 2-3 sides every week or two. Other vegtan was sorted by thickness. The chrome tans were sorted by color to prevent any contact color bleeding. 

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

21 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I've been using tubes for about 20 years and know of people doing it longer.

Looks handy and convienient.

On 4/27/2024 at 10:35 AM, bruce johnson said:

I've been using tubes for about 20 years and know of people doing it longer. The tubes fit well into a Gorilla Rack system. When we were renting the place this wasn't insulated and during the winter it might be 40 degrees and 90% humidity in there and summers might be 100 degrees and 15% humidity. Not problem number one with the leather ever. Excuse the background of the pictures. These are from about 16 years ago right after we bought the place and were converting the garage to the leather shop. At one time I had three of these racks of leather mostly all in tubes. The skirting wasn't in tubes because I was going through 2-3 sides every week or two. Other vegtan was sorted by thickness. The chrome tans were sorted by color to prevent any contact color bleeding. 

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Thanks. Have you adjusted size diameters at all? Wondering if you had a prefered diameter for the leather, or if was just choice of storage ease.