ProfUK

Hello from West Yorkshire

Hi all, thank you for letting me join.

I am not a leather worker. The only thing I know about leather is that it is a by-product of steaks 

My reason for joining is because of my little baby. He is wonderful, very strong, and an idiot. A loveable idiot, but still an idiot. 

I have tried to get a custom made lead for him, but everyone I speak to about the lead has interpreted what I want, rather than just following my design. This has already cost me nearly £150, and I still do not have the lead I want. Also my little baby has very sharp teeth, and he does like to chew his leads. So I decided that it made sense for me to learn how to make my own leads for him.

Welcome to the group. Bunch of great peeps here. Enjoy!

Welcome from Medway, Kent

So, as part of my quest for the perfect lead, I decided to make my own. I have 25mm webbing I also have some 25mm leather strip, I also have got some certified anchor plates, several d rings and I am currently putting everything together....

I am at the point of tacking things together by hand. Just so I can get a good idea of how it will look, and to make sure the mental image of my design will actually transfer to real life. It is not going to be possible to hand sew the entire lead, so I bought a cheap Chinese cobbler's sewing machine for the final assembly. And here is where I have an issue. Once I assembled the machine, I tried to take the bobbin out to wind the thread onto it. But not only did the bobbin and the bobbin carrier come out of the machine, but the mount (with the drive gear on the underside) also came out. The piece of paper that came with the machine does not deserve the title of instructions, and has no information on the position it should be in. I thought I had put it back in the same position that it came out, but obviously I am a tooth or two away from the correct position as it will not pick up the bobbin Thread when I crank the handle. I will post some pictures tomorrow when I am back in my workshop, but I thought I would just post this in case someone has got a set-up procedure they could share with me in order to get the correct position.

1 hour ago, ProfUK said:

I bought a cheap Chinese cobbler's sewing machine

Moved your post to leather sewing machines where the machine guys hang out.