stampingdelight

mystery braid help

Weight of leather will have some effect , 6/7 oz  I lose right at 5/8 inch per foot . Best way to know is cut a sample @ known length ( say 9 inches )and braid it then measure to see what you are loosing . Overall length will be shorter by X amount , now just do the math for the you want .

13 hours ago, stampingdelight said:

trying to come up with how long the total length would need to be on the piece of leather

Have you tried searching here on LW ?  I think I have seen some posts about the mystery braid.

If the search engine here doesn't find much, try doing a google search like this:

site:leatherworker.net mystery braid

The site parameter forces google to search the site listed.  Change the search parameters (mystery braid) as needed. 

Here is one that popped up with the above search. 

In Bruce Grants book Encyclopedia of rawhide and leather braiding he shows making a turks head with paper then cuts it so you can see how it's made, you might try the same for the mystery braid to get in the ballpark but you may need to reinforce it with a cheap material that won't tear.