Jose4616

Advice on buying a leather machine for boots

Hello, sorry this has probably been asked a million times, but I couldn’t find many resources. I have been interested in starting to build my own leather boots for myself purely as a hobby. I want to sew occasionally two pieces of 6 oz veg tanned leather (12 oz) and every now and then a maximum of two pieces if 9 oz (18 oz) of leather. I want to do all this with a 92 thread. I have a budget of around 700 which I will probably get the most bang for my buck by getting a used sewing machine. Could I get some recommendations to research around my area (California)? Thank you for any advice. I am a complete beginner as you can probably tell. From what I read machines like the consew 206rb are the leather machines that get most recommended for my price range (I think) but from I have heard they are hard to do maintenance and take care of them. I know most if not all machines are like this. I was wondering do you take a course on learning to repair the machine, or do you just learn from multiple years of using different machines, or do you only use the manual? Thank you for any information.

For sewing shoe and boot uppers a post bed machine is the way to go T70 thread is standard but T90  might be at the machines limit . Alternatively A singer patcher 29K 71 will do the job and more However the stitching will not always be strait unless you are very careful. And depending on what leather you use the walking foot may leave an imprint . If you are making boots for yourself and not for sale then a few imperfections add character. It takes years to learn to make flawless shoes and even the best machine in inexperienced hands  is really a waste . But even a crappy machine can do a presentable job in the right hands . Sewing uppers is only a small portion of the overall task of making boots and shoes . Because it is done in the early stages of construction  if you stuff it up all is not lost . You go back and start again .  A singer 29K is a versatile machine and will always be in your arsenal no matter which direction you take . Your next machines will be more specific to do a particular task 

A flat bed machine is not for shoe uppers . You can do some parts but not others . Cylinder arms can work well but Roller foot post bed is best  . Speed is critical the slower the better . Thats where a treadle 29K is a magic machine. Goes as slow as you like and can sew in any direction . Its more of a donkey than a thoroughbred Buts it is a handsome donkey .   

In conclusion try and get a singer 29k71 . Parts are still available and there are plenty around so they wont break the bank . Avoid models with numbers less than 71  because parts are unavailable .

Alternatives are Adler and Claes.   

9 hours ago, Jose4616 said:

getting a used sewing machine

Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  More activity here as this is where the machine guys hang out.

In answer to your last question, I think it's safe to say that most on here have learned sewing machine maintenance the hard way - by finding a manual where possible, watching youtube videos and asking questions on here. And, of course, by just tinkering with them.