Nice Chuck!

2 hours ago, Hags said:

Nice Chuck!

Thank you.

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

thank you It is a bit longer than the traditional leather knives but it gives you plenty of room to see what your doing. It feels light and nimble compared to a round knife and will probably replace it in most of its chores. a heck of a lot easier to sharpen lol.

If it works anything like the leather knife I made, you can run a long straight cut or a curve with ease. The advantage being it looks like you could cut quite a bit tighter inside curve. And yes, sharpening should be a breeze. It's a great idea, may have to think about making one similar to it.

DSC08159-(Copy).JPG.8bafa48daca8670c25f8837cb48a061b.JPG

39 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

If it works anything like the leather knife I made, you can run a long straight cut or a curve with ease. The advantage being it looks like you could cut quite a bit tighter inside curve. And yes, sharpening should be a breeze. It's a great idea, may have to think about making one similar to it.

DSC08159-(Copy).JPG.8bafa48daca8670c25f8837cb48a061b.JPG

that's a great knife too. I've made all my knives and have plenty but I guess its one of those things a guy cant have to many of. lol 

tools2.JPG

17 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

that's a great knife too. I've made all my knives and have plenty but I guess its one of those things a guy cant have to many of. lol 

tools2.JPG

I think it borders on heresy to suggest one could have too many knives, so I'm glad to see you stick to orthodoxy.

Gosh, now I want to get a cylinder of mapp gas and try my hand at some basic blacksmithing... A buddy of mine used to do some amateur blacksmithing on a small forge his dad built him and was going to teach me some basics one day.  His coal and paper were a touch damp from rain a couple days before and bad Southern humidity, so we weren't able to, sadly.

27 minutes ago, Mablung said:

I think it borders on heresy to suggest one could have too many knives, so I'm glad to see you stick to orthodoxy.

Gosh, now I want to get a cylinder of mapp gas and try my hand at some basic blacksmithing... A buddy of mine used to do some amateur blacksmithing on a small forge his dad built him and was going to teach me some basics one day.  His coal and paper were a touch damp from rain a couple days before and bad Southern humidity, so we weren't able to, sadly.

Its very addicting lol, here is a set of carving tools I made that also work great for leather. the vee gouge and u gouge are great for skiving tight bends. the ferules are 45 acp shells i turned down on the lathe. They also 1/4" d2 rod

tools7.jpg

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

tools2.JPG

1 hour ago, Mablung said:

True, one can't have too many knives. I have a good selection of them that I've made myself. I do draw the line at making an X-Acto knife, though.

2 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

True, one can't have too many knives. I have a good selection of them that I've made myself. I do draw the line at making an X-Acto knife, though.

Don't blame you.  That would be tough.  I just resharpen my replaceable blades.

19 minutes ago, Mablung said:

Don't blame you.  That would be tough.  I just resharpen my replaceable blades.

Yeah, I strop them and whatnot but when they get down some, I stick a new one in.

18 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

lol I even made my awl blade.

I've never liked the flimsiness of x-acto knives, i have half a dozen of them I've collected over the years but don't use them for leather work.  But then again I don't cut a lot of thin leathers. The littler 1/2" blade I made is pretty darn close and will do anything the x-acto can I'll bet.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol I even made my awl blade.

I've never liked the flimsiness of x-acto knives, i have half a dozen of them I've collected over the years but don't use them for leather work.  But then again I don't cut a lot of thin leathers. The littler 1/2" blade I made is pretty darn close and will do anything the x-acto can I'll bet.

The only thing I use an X-Acto knife for is to cut out pieces. Other than that, they really don't have much use in leather working, at least for me. Here's a video showing a guy using one much like I do. This technique really makes cutting complex pieces easy. For cutting pieces out, watch from 2:49 to 3:33.

thats pretty slick for sure. Thanks i may have to try that technique out.

Before I cut with one, I punch tight inside curves with hole punches before cutting the piece.

1453031134_04-a-Cut(copy).jpg.1c09812d156891b4d22964bbbdf273d6.jpg

Oh, yeah, I also don't have any carpet so I just cut off the edge of the bench.

Close to the edge where it's easy to nick the bench so don't do it on a kitchen table. LOL

14 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

Close to the edge where it's easy to nick the bench so don't do it on a kitchen table. LOL

i may have to make another knife now lol.

35 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i may have to make another knife now lol.

It sounds like a good excuse reason to me.:lol:

I tried that cutting technique but just couldn't get the hang of it (probably just me :rolleyes2:).