waynebergman

Bernina model 1001 sewing machine ok for leather work

I have an option to get a Bernina 1001 sewing machine for free .Owner says it is not working but not sure what is wrong with it yet. My question is before i go and look at it, is it capable of sewing 7oz leather. I did notice the machine has a set of walking feet so this is good but not sure on the power or the ability to easily go slow to to accuratley follow straight lines. Thanks in advance.......wayne

It won't hold up sewing leather any better than that Elna you were considering. 7 oz. chrome tan it might swallow for a while, but eventually it won't be happy and you won't be either.

thanks guys, looks like i might have to give up on my free and cheapo finds and perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy a decent machine. .Much appreciated.........wayne

Anything less than a machine that is designed to sew leather will be problematic. Some sellers like to advertise that their machines are "heavy duty" or "semi-industrial" but at the end of the day if they are a domestic machine then they won't stand up to the rigours of sewing leather. Sad but true.

I think, as a general rule, anything with multiple stitch types is not going to be suitable for your intended use.  The exception might be a Sailrite machine.  Not to say a "straight stitch only" machine is necessarily going to work for you. There are tons of older domestic straight stitchers out there that won't. You want an industrial walking foot, ideally.

By all means, keep asking. There could be multi-stitch machines out there that would work. I'm not a walking encyclopedia of sewing machines like some of these guys.

Most of us have been where you are.

Edited by AlZilla