Dannyman

Leather beveling tool: how to make this tool?

Hi everyone!

This tool bevels leather strips. I want to bevel strips that get braided around a wooden dowel (for a flogger handle). The tool in the video has a few bells and whistles I can't figure out. I am hoping someone more technical can explain them to me.

1.) The knife in this tool must be the triangular-ish piece of dark steel I reckon. But how is it fastened to the wood block? I think it's inserted into a slit that's cut into the wood. But how is it secured?

2.) What are the threaded rods with wingnuts for? Is it relevant for the functioning of the beveling tool? I guess not? Or am I missing something?

3.) It's a smart tool. The leather is first held down by the bigger piece of steel which is adjustable with a screw with washer, in a slot. What is the function of the adjustability? Is it necessary when the leather strips are thicker? Or what is it for?

I would love to recreate this tool. I do have the wood and steel working skills and tools to make it; I just don't fully understand the tool (close, but just not close enough!)

Anyone here who can fill in the blanks for me? Even partly would be great!

Very curious :)
Thanks a lot!

You might look at commercially available lace bevelers for inspiration. https://y-knotlace.com/bevelers:25542

Danny, 

This is how I see the tool:  the center block has a slot in it that holes the blade. (I think a craft blade would work.)  The rods or bolts go through all three pieces of wood to hold the blade in position and the left hand block is the piece that the string rides along the top and is beveled by the blade.  The top piece of metal is a hold-down piece that keeps the string is position to bevel.  As TomE mentioned, it may be just as easy to buy a tool.  I have tried to make my own, and I have never been satisfied with the results for the amount of time I spent making the tool.

Ron

Ah, I think you're right Ron. It's 3 pieces of wood. The left one is probably cut at an angle to be able to clamp the blade in a slanted position. Now I understand the threaded rods with nuts! I might try it when I find the time.

I enjoy making tools. It will be hard to end up with something that works well though. I totally agree. Harder then it seems. A commercial one will probably save me time and money. True.

I tried another simple tool which I saw demonstrated online but wasn't able to get the same beveling results!  I am talking about this one from Youtube.
This is my version, just for sharing and input to the forum. Be warned: it can work because I have seen two people put this method to work, but no luck for me here yet

999999999.thumb.jpg.f39510635fc74e8731138f5c6a65c99d.jpg

888888888.jpg.5674833ea1c2054e20aa46f7dd5447e3.jpg

Edited by Dannyman

So, the blade is just a Stanley/Utility knife blade set at an angle.  The shiny metal piece is there so that the leather strip doesn't ride up and cut through as you're pulling the strip.  The angled slot for the blade is fairly long and doesn't have any set position for the blade, other than the angle.  To compensate for that and for varying width strips is why the shiny "hold down" is adjustable.  The screws through the block allow you to loosen it and replace the blade, and provide the pressure to clamp it in place

I remember seeing a video of someone making and explaining something similar some years ago, but I doubt I'd be able to find it again.  

If I were making one, I'd take a 2x4 and cut off about 5" or 6" then drill two holes all the way through from the end.  Then, leaving an inch or so on the short side of the cut, I'd cut a bevel at the angle I'm looking for on a table saw (or by hand if my arm were up for it!).  Find a couple of long carriage bolts and wingnuts, a utility blade, and a bit of something to hold down that I could screw into the top, and Bob's yer uncle!

- Bill

I've seen this made with two razor blades. 

A thick block of wood for a base. Mounted to it at an angle, on each side, and slightly spaced apart blocks of wood to which the razor blades are screwed. On the base block of wood in front of the blade was a another long block of wood with a 1mm x 3mm groove in it to keep the the lace down. This was so the block could be changed if another size of lace was used. In operation the base was clamped to a work-table and the lace was pulled though. The razor blades cut off a bevel on both edges. I think I saw this on youtube for I seem the remember the worker turning the lace over and cutting bevels again so he ended up with

<> 

44 minutes ago, fredk said:

I've seen this made with two razor blades. 

A thick block of wood for a base. Mounted to it at an angle, on each side, and slightly spaced apart blocks of wood to which the razor blades are screwed. On the base block of wood in front of the blade was a another long block of wood with a 1mm x 3mm groove in it to keep the the lace down. This was so the block could be changed if another size of lace was used. In operation the base was clamped to a work-table and the lace was pulled though. The razor blades cut off a bevel on both edges. I think I saw this on youtube for I seem the remember the worker turning the lace over and cutting bevels again so he ended up with

<> 

Thanks for describing Fred. Now it gets interesting! A whole new method I haven't seen yet. There seem to be some tutorials/videos out there about crafting a beveling tool.. I hope I can find this somewhere. Was it likely on a specific leather crafting channel on youtube? That video must still be out there somewhere!

@billyboppI appreciate your analysis Bob. Now I understand the adjustability! 

Edited by Dannyman

32 minutes ago, Dannyman said:

Was it likely on a specific leather crafting channel on youtube? That video must still be out there somewhere!

I don't think so, but I don't know. I seem to remember I was watching and wasting time,  a load of those 'hacks' and this came up in my side-bar listing. Also, Istr, it was a Eastern European, with subtitles that weren't very good. Oh, and I think it wasn't called anything to do with lace, some terrible translation

I made a beveler like the one that you showed with the vise.  I held the blade in with a woodscrew and small washer.  Then, I had a second piece of wood to form a channel the width of the string.  To hold the string in place while beveling, I used a piece of plexy glass on top with a pivot screw and a locking screw.  It looked cool, but sucked at the task of beveling.  It didn't cost me any money, just time and frustration.  Let us know what you come up with.

Thanks, I will follow up on this!