DaleksInc

How do I properly skive edges?

Whenever I try to skive the edges on belts, I get really inconsistent results. Some areas end up skived very deeply, others barely at all. This causes them to look very unprofessional, especially once I apply Edge-Kote. How do you go about getting a consistent skiving depth?

Please don't answer with "get a skiving machine"; that's out of my price range.

First off, what tool are you using for skiving?  There are a couple of hand-use skivers that help provide consistent edges, using replaceable blades.  Regardless of the tool used, practice practice practice is a major part of the answer.  I'm not very good at skiving just yet, but that's partly because I use my round knife and am still working at keeping the blade angle of attack consistent.

@Mablung I have been using edge bevelers.

36 minutes ago, DaleksInc said:

I think the terms you are using are two different things.  You bevel the edges to round over the ends, to give the edges a more finished look.  You skive a piece of leather, typically to transition two overlapping pieces of leather.  ie you thin down the top layer to gradually blend into the bottom layer, instead of having stair-stepped angled layers.   That being said, a lot of it, is watching very closely to keep the edge beveler held at the same angle, as you round curved parts.  After I bevel my edges, I regularly look it over and make sure its all even.  If I find a place that wasn't beveled deep enough, and just run the beveler over that section again to clean it up.  Also - it helps to have sharp tools.  If the beveler isn't sharp, its much more difficult to get consistent cuts, because you are having to force it through the leather, 

41 minutes ago, DaleksInc said:

Is your question how to skive, or how to edge bevel?  Not to sound at all condescending, but it sounds like you're not clear on which is which.  An edge beveler is used to take the sharp, 90* corner off the edge of a cut, making for a nicer, rounded edge once slicked and burnished.  Skiving refers to reducing the thickness of the leather, usually along the flesh side, by tapering from the thicker center out toward the edge, where it gets thinner.

If your trouble is getting a consistent edge bevel, look at your beveler to make sure it's sufficiently sharp.  Also make sure the size of beveler you use matches the thickness of the leather (although it doesn't sound like that's your main issue).  Critically important as well is orienting the beveler at the correct angle to the leather, then using consistent pressure and angle of attack to cut the corner off.  Personally, I find my beveling suffers the most when I don't keep my beveler angle and pressure consistent.

To bevel the edges of belts or any project, you must have a sharp beveler.  Also, the leather must be dry.  

Wet leather and dull bevelers will gouge the edges.  A beveler too large for the leather weight will also give you poor results.