bladegrinder

Camp knife sheath...

Here's a sheath I just finished for a camp knife, Alabama Damascus blade, Desert Ironwood scales, nickel silver pins and lanyard hole.

Sheath is 9 oz. Herman oak, English bridle pro dye, carved feather, dragon scale stamp, light brown antique, two light coats of Resolene.

Thanks for looking!

RESIZED 601.jpg

RESIZED 602.jpg

resized 600.jpg

OUTSTANING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  as always :spoton:

I have got to start saving up for one of your knives !!!!!!

That is fantastic! I’ve got a small Alabama Damascus Steel knife, and I love it. No nice grips on it, but one day I’ll make a good set. That sheath is beautiful. 

Wow! The workmanship of both knife and sheath are outstanding.

Thanks folks!

Looks awesome. Nice work!!! Beautiful setup. Love the tool work. 

Thanks, the pictures don’t do it justice once there down sized to add here. When you zoom in for detail they get fuzzy.

Edited by bladegrinder

What do you think of the edge and grind?  The one I have didn't have a final edge, which the guy who sold it to me at a craft fair told me was purposeful so that the end user could sharpen it as he liked.  I did notice the primary bevel grind and secondary bevel grind both were a little off-center and the secondary bevel is thicker at the base of the blade than at the tip, which has made sharpening the secondary bevel a touch challenging.

I buy large billets of it straight from Brad Vice, the owner of Alabama Damascus. Then I rough cut a profile from it, surface grind it, then finish profiling. Then I hollow grind it, heat treat and temper it, then etch it in acid to bring out the pattern. Then I do the handles, I don’t sharpen until the sheath is completed. 

1 minute ago, bladegrinder said:

I buy large billets of it straight from Brad Vice, the owner of Alabama Damascus. Then I rough cut a profile from it, surface grind it, then finish profiling. Then I hollow grind it, heat treat and temper it, then etch it in acid to bring out the pattern. Then I do the handles, I don’t sharpen until the sheath is completed. 

Ah, I gotcha.  I bought a prefinished blade blank.  What sort of equipment do you use to cut the billets?  I assume you're getting it already heat-treated, since you didn't mention heat-treating in your process of work.

I do all my heat treating in my shop, I have a fully equipped knife making shop, I’ve been making knives for 33 years. I cut my profiles out with a bandsaw. I usually use high alloy stainless steels but I also use high carbon and stainless Damascus from various makers.

Here's a picture of some stainless steel Damascus on a folder I finished a couple weeks ago. the bolsters are from the same piece of steel, with ivory scales.

resized 611.jpg

8 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

Here's a picture of some stainless steel Damascus on a folder I finished a couple weeks ago. the bolsters are from the same piece of steel, with ivory scales.

resized 611.jpg

That's Dang Sexy! Nice work. Beautiful folder. 

I'm hoping to get some machinery next year, so I can try my hand at making a folder. 

If I wasn't strapped for cash at the moment, I would be putting down a down payment to get my name on the list. 

Stunning work. 

Thanks Jarrod!

Gotta say, that wootz is beautiful, but your sheath is what catches my eye, and the knife just becomes an accessory. Awesome job!

Very nice.  Smooth and classy come to mind.