Northmount

Upgrade your passwords - secure your accounts

Over the past couple months, there has been a lot of spam posted.  Some is a new user just registered to post spam.

There are other cases where they have broken into accounts by hacking the password to the account.  Several of these cases have been older accounts where the user has only posted once, and may not be following leatherworker.net any more.  If you are using simple passwords or common passwords like "123", "password", "qwerty", etc.  PLEASE UPGRADE YOUR PASSWORD. 

There are lists of common passwords available on the net.  These hackers run those lists against a username login and in many cases have a match within 2 to 5 seconds.

Some of these spammers are from Montreal, New York, and other cities, or may be using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to hide their IP address and location, so they can be from anywhere.

If your account is hacked and you are not a frequent user, I will simply mark the user as a spammer and you will no longer have access to post here.  I've given up trying to get these one time users to change their passwords as it is just a waste of my time.  To the rest of your that are frequent users, just upgrade your password so it's not easy to crack.

Kaspersky is in the cyber security business.  How to make strong passwords.

A friend is an IT professional for a major corporation. He once told me that if you use your pet's name for your password I can get all your information in 5 minutes. My response was "I have 23 dogs. IF you can figure out which one I used, you STILL need to find what their birthday is." His was "23 dogs? Who the hell has 23 dogs?" :lol:

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

A friend is an IT professional for a major corporation. He once told me that if you use your pet's name for your password I can get all your information in 5 minutes. My response was "I have 23 dogs. IF you can figure out which one I used, you STILL need to find what their birthday is." His was "23 dogs? Who the hell has 23 dogs?" :lol:

I've got his question as well.  :blink:  I love my Husky/German Shepherd mix, but she's quite enough to handle on her own.

Over the years I have owned or driven several hundred motor vehicles. I drove 'professionally' as a postman. Thus I use the make of vehicle, the type and its registration number for my passwords. BUT I mix them up, like this; Honda Swift VCZ9621, comes from three different vehicles, and I change the order too

And I keep a little black book with them all written down

19 hours ago, Mablung said:

I've got his question as well.  :blink:  I love my Husky/German Shepherd mix, but she's quite enough to handle on her own.

I have working sled dogs. I have had as many as 63 dogs and puppies at one time. Now that I'm old, I've cut back to just 10. 

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

I have working sled dogs. I have had as many as 63 dogs and puppies at one time. Now that I'm old, I've cut back to just 10. 

Ahh, that makes far more sense. 

I use either the vehicle inspired passwords, or I use song that is translated into a password.

A lot of places requires both capital letters, special signs, small letters and a number to accept your password, and the song trick works for me, you just replace the words in the songs first line or refrain or whatever part you like with either letters, special signs or figures.

Old Mc Donald had a farm, the verse with a cow could be: Aot#hh1C (And on that farm he had 1 cow) I know it is supposed to be a cow, but in this case it doesn't matter.

On another note: Spammers are annoying, and generally I think that @Northmount and the rest of the moderators are doing a great job in keeping a tight ship. There is very little spam that compared to what you would expect given the number of users etc. in here.

Brgds Jonas