AWORKOFMARC

NON darkening leather finish/protectant?

Do they even make a sealer, finish, some sort of protectant that does not completely ruin the subtle color variations for leathers like PUEBLO BADALASSI CARLO or the OLIVE - AZTECA BELLY? Everything I've tried from diluted resolene, atom wax leather balm, leather sheen even saddle soap --even Lexol Neatsfoot Leather Conditioner --supposedly "a non-darkening formula" --literally kills the color variations and contrast by darkening the lighter area.  Furthermore -- Why even make leather that loses its' beauty first time you touch it with any finish or cleaner?

pueblo.jpg

aztec.jpg

Edited by AWORKOFMARC

We are currently testing Vaseline

8 hours ago, fredk said:

We are currently testing Vaseline

tHANKS FOR SHARING THAT LINK

For bridle leather, Fiebings Aussie conditioner tends to maintain the original color better than Blackrock Leather N' Rich, Bickmore Bick 4, and Effax Lederbalsam.  I apply a light coat of neatsfoot oil before conditioning.  Once the oil soaks in the original color returns.   I don't seal projects, except the edges, so I don't have expeience with those finishes.  Another idea is to use neutral shoe polish for shine and some water resistance.  I think it will stay on top of the grain.  Lincoln stain wax (shoe polish) is a quality product.

So I asked the same question to the place in Europe I bought the leather... my message to him:

ALL of the following finishes / conditioners / sealants permanently DARKEN and totally kill the light areas as red arrow indicate. Turns the veg-tanned leather the same green as the rest and “flattens” the aesthetic.

Resolene
Fiebings Leather Sheen
Fiebings Leather balm with atom wax
Neatsfoot
Saddle Soap
Fiebings Saddle Lac
Leather Honey

aztec.jpg

His reply --is confounding!!

"Please dont use anything , its veg tanned and you will damaged leather. Only tokonole or edge paint for edges. Please see photo what one customer do to veg tan with saddle soap"

sadd copy.jpg

Edited by AWORKOFMARC

For a non-darkening conditioner, you could try the one by Chemical Guys. It has not darkened any of my leathers.  

4 hours ago, SUP said:

For a non-darkening conditioner, you could try the one by Chemical Guys. It has not darkened any of my leathers.  

Does it have a name? This one?
https://www.chemicalguys.com/products/leather-conditioner
SPI_401_16.jpg?v=1699306333&width=600
I ordered Bicks4 too -- supposedly from all the amazon reviews it does not darken. I'll believe it when I see it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CS2Q4M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Edited by AWORKOFMARC

Yes. That one. It did not darken but it was not as effective as the ones with oils and waxes. But oils and waxes always darken leather, at least temporarily.

Maybe you could do trials on small pieces of the leather.

17 hours ago, AWORKOFMARC said:

So I asked the same question to the place in Europe I bought the leather... my message to him:

ALL of the following finishes / conditioners / sealants permanently DARKEN and totally kill the light areas as red arrow indicate. Turns the veg-tanned leather the same green as the rest and “flattens” the aesthetic.

Resolene
Fiebings Leather Sheen
Fiebings Leather balm with atom wax
Neatsfoot
Saddle Soap
Fiebings Saddle Lac
Leather Honey

aztec.jpg

His reply --is confounding!!

"Please dont use anything , its veg tanned and you will damaged leather. Only tokonole or edge paint for edges. Please see photo what one customer do to veg tan with saddle soap"

sadd copy.jpg

I think he is telling you this leather is a finished leather so no need to seal with anything. My advice would be if you want to feed it rather than seal it cut a small piece off and feed on the flesh side only to see if that would darken it but only do it lightly. I have posted a couple links to one of the suppliers this side of the pond scroll down and read what they say about the leather. It seems to me that this a trait of working this leather, it is made to age and wear that way, so if you make the same thing for two or more people depending on use they will age and wear to become uniquely theirs, as with most leathers that is the beauty of the product we work with.

https://www.aacrack.com/collections/badalassi-carlo-pueblo-leather

https://www.aacrack.com/products/badalassi-pueblo-oliva-1-4-1-6mm

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Thank you