Jose4616

Which Post Beds do you recommend for under 3k?

Hello, a couple days ago I asked whether I should get a post bed or a cylinder arm sewing machine. Thanks to the input from this community I have decided to purchase a post bed for shoemaking. I am wondering what post bed would you recommend? I plan to sew work boots around 16 oz leather combined and want to use bison leather rarely, but would be in the vicinity of 18 oz of leather combined. I have seen the techsew 830 which from what I have seen is the only post bed capable of sewing 3/8 of an inch. Compared to other post beds they are rated for a maximum of 5/16 inch leather. I was wondering what other post beds would you recommend or should I get the techsew 830? Also will the techsew 830 sew 3/8 veg tan leather or is the 3/8 a maximum for like denim and the maximum for leather is something else? 

8 hours ago, Jose4616 said:

Also will the techsew 830 sew 3/8 veg tan leather or is the 3/8 a maximum for like denim and the maximum for leather is something else? 

That would be a good question to put to the Techsew people as well as can it use V138 in 3/8" thick veg tan.

kgg

@Jose4616 16oz leather is very thick ,too thick for shoes and boots .If you choose to proceed there are 2 things you should consider . 1 is to skive your overlaps and do 3 runs of stitching .  2. Or wet the leather before stitching . If you don't skive the overlaps will be felt by the wearer and cause discomfort at the best or make the boots unwearable at worse . Then there is the lining to consider . As a shoe maker ,the thickest leather i would ever use is 8oz with the same thickness if reinforcing the the toe or heel. I have never seen or know of boots made with 16 oz . Nicks boots might come close but i doubt it . Having said that a roller foot post bed is my machine of choice for upper sewing . However a walking foot machine might be better suited to your needs  You may also want to give some thought to post height  There is a machine that i saw about a year ago that had a side mount motor with a digital screen read out where you make your adjustments. This particular machine had a feature for reverse where it will track into the same holes for locking off the ends of the stitch . From memory it was about 5 grand Australian dollars  so might be just over 3 grand US . 

Take your time and learn about the nuances of different machines before spending the big bucks .

@Jose4616

Have you considered a used post machine? About 8 years ago I bought a used Singer 168g101, with compound feed walking feet and a 7 inch post. My machine can sew 3/8 of an inch if the leather isn't too dense. It uses the same G size bobbin as the Singer 111 and 211 series machines. I've successfully sewed with up to #207 thread in the bobbin and on top. It uses the standard walking foot System 135x16 (leather) and 135x17 (synthetics) needles. I bought it equipped with an analog servo motor, with a rotary knob to set the top speed. The motor hangs down from a box style speed reducer that lets me sew as slowly as I want without losing punching power. I got mine from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. You can call them and ask if they have one in stock that's working, or can be put in working condition. Their number is: 866-362-7397. Ask for Bob Kovar.

I should point out that all walking foot machines suffer from a lack of visibility of where the needle will make contact unless you obtain a split inside foot. The split foot lets me see exactly where the needle is heading. This offsets the need for a roller foot machine in some cases. But, if you really need a roller foot, then hunt for the best model that meets your specifications. Take out a loan if you must, but don't settle for less than what you actually need. That's false economy.

19 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Take out a loan if you must, but don't settle for less than whet you actually need. That's false economy.

Great advice.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg