CdK

Low Tac adhesive for patterns to leather

Good evening,

I have watched a number of videos where when the artisan pulls the paper template from the leather it can be heard that there was adhesion between the pieces. No tape or any other adhesive was noticed and residue did not appear to be left behind.

I searched for adhesive that would in effect work like a Post-It note and found glue sticks branded by Scotch that appears to be what I'm after.

Anyone here have recommendations and/or experience with this?

Carl

how about Glue Dots?

Double sided sticky tape or rubber glue?

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Double sided sticky tape or rubber glue?

I tried double sided tape but it was too aggressive and affected the vegtan surface to the extent that when dye was applied you could see where the tape was used. I have not tried rubber glue, I will need to find some and try it out. -added after I originally posted this. I found a high tack /low tack double sided tape on a sewing site but at $25/roll plus tax I don’t just want to buy it.

I have experimented with post it notes and it did not affect the surface and dye was not influenced in any way. This is why I am looking to mimic it.

3 hours ago, 1hp said:

how about Glue Dots?

I have not tried that yet. I will get some and try it out.

Edited by BliksemDonder

You can reduce the tack of any tape by putting in on your jeans first then pulling it off. The more times you do this the tack gets weaker each time

1 hour ago, fredk said:

You can reduce the tack of any tape by putting in on your jeans first then pulling it off. The more times you do this the tack gets weaker each time

This is what I do to the double sided tape on the back of my steel cutting rules.

I've never had to stick a template or pattern to the leather so cant help much. why do you need to do it? 

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I've never had to stick a template or pattern to the leather so cant help much. why do you need to do it? 

There is no specific need other than my curiosity but I have seen others do this and I like to learn and try things and then decide if it has any relevance to my workflow. I have started expanding my item range into things like wallets and smaller leather goods that use leather other than the heavier vegtan that I am familiar with. The smaller fiddly bits like the T-pieces for card pockets are too small for the weights that I have used for larger pieces and taping the patterns are a pita.

I use my laser cutter to cut patterns from card stock and my thinking is that if I can tack them in place the cutting would be easier. I don't use a scratch awl and then cut the leather after marking as it introduces too much tolerance stacking so cut directly using the pattern, ruler and knife. Directly cutting the leather with the laser does work, but not always suitable.

Am I missing a technique to do these steps that I have overlooked?

10 hours ago, fredk said:

I like that, simple and cost effective, I will keep this in mind.

Edited by BliksemDonder