I’m trying to learn some floral carving, so I got a couple Tandy Craftaids.  I was seeing which tools I had and what I was lacking, a hair blade for the swivel knife was one of my deficiencies.  I found blades (1/8” and 1/16”) for a swivel knife, but I also found from Tandy a hair blade stylus looking tool with the same sizes.  I’m not sure which way to go as I’ve never used this tool.  The blades for the swivel knife seem like you would get a better impression as you apply more down pressure; however the stylus has the advantage of not having to change blades to change sizes. So any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the stylus type version. It has different 'hair' effect on each end. I find it very convenient. Easily switching between the two ends

I haven't used the hair blade tool of any sort, but I will say that one of my pals at the local Tandy store doesn't care for the newer version of the hair blade tool.  His complaint is that it's not as sharp as a previous version, requiring more pressure to get an impression but without removing some of the very top grain like he wanted in order to make the effect more pronounced.  Just figured I'd throw that out there.

I've used both. No real difference between the two, just a matter of which you find more comfortable.

Thanks for the help I think I gonna get the stylus type for the convenience factor.  I’ve found if something is easier to use you’re more likely to use it.  Thanks again.