fredk

What I learnt today is . . .

to ensure my finger nails are cut short and filed smooth before putting on rubber/latex gloves for dyeing.

I was lucky today. A long broken thumb nail poked a hole in a glove but it wasn't touched much by the dyeing sponge so only a little black dye got through

What have you learnt today at the leather-worker university?

I have tried using rubber gloves for dyeing  only for them to either break and or make a huge mess, so I don't bother any more . I'll have an assortment of colours on my hands at the end of the day, but comes off very quickly . I have peeps asking me "whats happened to your hands?" "" I'm a leatherworker"" , .........advertising ;) :)

On 7/2/2024 at 5:01 AM, fredk said:

What have you learnt today at the leather-worker university?

I can never find Camel leather here in Oz, even though Oz are over run with wild  camels across Central Oz, they've become a pest now . I spoke to a fellow leather worker at a market, she too has the same issue of not finding Camel leather. Apparently, they're just shot and left to rot where they fall. What a waste!!! I have never used Camel leather before, but what I have been told its quite soft. She also showed me a camel leather bag she got from Abu Darby ? (I think thats what she said, or was it Dubai )it looked stunning , nice and soft.  Thats a whole industry going to waste, meat, milk, leather etc. 

HS

Hee hee, I rarely use gloves. Too uncomfortable. So I go around with stained hands, although most dyes come off if scrubbed with those yellow scrubbies. Last week it was vinegaroon, no idea why it dyed around my nails. That stayed for a while.

I had an interesting experience once

I had been using red dye. The glove had a pin hole in it and a little dye got in. Left hand, around the tip of the middle finger, the finger nail and run down the side of the finger and some over the back of the hand. It wouldn't scrub off.

A day or two later I was in shop paying for something when one of the assistants appeared with the first aid box. She promptly started to bandage up my finger and hand, despite my protests that it was only dye. She mis-understood the word dye for die. 'no you won't die from that but you need to see a doctor or go the hospital'. I promised I'd go straight to my doctor and thanked her. Well, she got testing out her first aid training and did a good deed at the same time