MasonLikesLeather

Would any of these sets be good?

@MasonLikesLeather Kinda depends on what projects you are looking to do.  

When I got started I just went to hobby lobby and got a basic set (had stamps and a swivel knife), a hammer and some leather rounds.  Probably spent $30 in all.  

Within a week I had basically replaced all of these with stuff from Tandy leather.  The cheaper stamps bend pretty easily.  

What I basically started with was a swivel knife, a hammer and the following stamps:

pear shader: https://tandyleather.com/products/craftool-smooth-pear-shader-stamp?_pos=1&_sid=a8c32ab79&_ss=r

beveler: https://tandyleather.com/collections/beveler-stamps/products/craftool-smooth-beveler-stamp

camouflage: https://tandyleather.com/collections/border-stamps/products/craftool-crescent-camoflage-stamp

veiner: https://tandyleather.com/collections/beveler-stamps/products/craftool-smooth-beveler-stamp

seeder: https://tandyleather.com/collections/seeder-stamps/products/craftool-seeder-stamp

I've gotten a lot more since, but those let me do the basics.

I'm not sure where you are located, so I don't know if a Tandy is inconvenient.  

I also had a number of books that I used for ideas in the beginning.  DM me and I can send you a couple of PDFs

@MasonLikesLeather Oh, and I used belly leather to start out with. I don't really ever use it on leather projects, but its cheap enough to where I feel fine just used it to practice cuts and stamps.

Depends on how much you want to get into floral tooling. Most of those stamp kits have large stamps that make it difficult to do anything precise. I’d follow elnedro’s advice and start out with some basic tools from Tandy. They’re better than kits you’ll get at other big box hobby stores but are not too expensive, either.

If you’re looking for basic floral carving tools, elnedro covered that. As far as tools for construction, I’d start with a 5mm six-prong and two-prong set of stitching chisels, a good mallet, and a groover or creaser from Tandy. That stuff will last you a long time and is decently made. I think I mentioned on another thread that something to mark hole locations and an awl work well, which is true. I do some of my stitching that way. I then thought about the fact that a good set of chisels is easier to use when starting out, IMO. The awl and over stitch wheel or pricking irons are definitely useful, but chisels are easier to start with. I’ll post some links when I have a chance. 

Here is what I can recommend - https://twentythreeplus.com/collections/tools/products/beginner-tooling-kit

Joe is a good guy and sharpens the blade so you know how they should be instead of guessing with a dull blade. 

Check out these beginner-oriented videos from  Leodis Leather. He discusses what tools you might already have, what leather to use, and so on. 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvoKYeh7ahyGB-numgnO3WxOVi3Sgkyzg

Firstly, Welcome to the fun!

Secondly, I don't do carving/tooling/stamping

Generally speaking, the leather craft kits from Amazon aren't very good, and generally again, you'd be better off putting your money towards something better ----- on the other hand, if the price is very low you'll get a good selection for little money, so it might be worth a go just to try it and get started. And from the look of those kits some of the tools are reasonable enough, so even if you keep some and dump others the overall cost would still be reasonable.

However, paradoxically, if that's the right word, you need some experience to decide ..... like I said, welcome to the fun

I suggest you Search YouTube for 'beginners leather tools' and similar categories, there are several videos. Each one is similar but slightly different, reflecting the preference of the individual leather worker but watch a few and you'll get the general idea.

Also watch YT videos on making the items you fancy, such as wallets, belts, knife sheaths, pouches, and you'll see what other people use and how they do things There are also videos on techniques such as saddle stitch, edge finishing, sharpening edge bevellers, and so on 

Get a shopping list together and build up your tool kit as you need it

I only know a few suppliers in the USA - Weaver, Tandy, and Rocky Mountain Leather Supply, but I'm sure other people will add their suggestions. 

Edited by zuludog

@MasonLikesLeather, I started leatherwork as a hobby, last year in January. This is the kit I bought from Amazon. It is probably similar to ones you have listed. They all have more or less of the same items.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QY7CP72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I bought the kit because I did not have a clue what I wanted to do; just that I loved leather and wanted to work with it! 

I am happy with that purchase. It gave me a chance to determine what I would actually like to do before I bought more expensive tools.  This set provided several items I have not needed to replace like the mat, the awl, the needles, scissors, snaps etc.  The quality is fine for a newbie to get an idea of the craft. I did need to buy stitching chisels but those too I got from Amazon and they work fine. The very expensive ones are probably wonderful,  but for me, as a hobbyist, the Aiskaer or Wuta or Owden (to which I am partial) work well enough that I have not needed to buy the more expensive ones.  I do have new stamps but those are things you can buy if you decide to go down that route. Leatherwork, especially in the beginning, is a journey of discovery. Take your time and enjoy it. :)

Also, the French style chisels give beautiful stitches, but to learn, the  Japanese style ones are better. Saddle stitching takes a bit of practice to get beautiful stitches. Once you can get the angles with round or diamond shaped holes, you can get good stitches anywhere. No matter what you decide you want to make, saddle stitching is a basic leatherworking skill, needed everywhere. There are excellent videos teaching saddle stitching online and information about those videos on this forum.

Edited by SUP

2 hours ago, SUP said:

@MasonLikesLeather, I started leatherwork as a hobby, last year in January. This is the kit I bought from Amazon. It is probably similar to ones you have listed. They all have more or less of the same items.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QY7CP72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I bought the kit because I did not have a clue what I wanted to do; just that I loved leather and wanted to work with it! 

I am happy with that purchase. It gave me a chance to determine what I would actually like to do before I bought more expensive tools.  This set provided several items I have not needed to replace like the mat, the awl, the needles, scissors, snaps etc.  The quality is fine for a newbie to get an idea of the craft. I did need to buy stitching chisels but those too I got from Amazon and they work fine. The very expensive ones are probably wonderful,  but for me, as a hobbyist, the Aiskaer or Wuta or Owden (to which I am partial) work well enough that I have not needed to buy the more expensive ones.  I do have new stamps but those are things you can buy if you decide to go down that route. Leatherwork, especially in the beginning, is a journey of discovery. Take your time and enjoy it. :)

Also, the French style chisels give beautiful stitches, but to learn, the  Japanese style ones are better. Saddle stitching takes a bit of practice to get beautiful stitches. Once you can get the angles with round or diamond shaped holes, you can get good stitches anywhere. No matter what you decide you want to make, saddle stitching is a basic leatherworking skill, needed everywhere. There are excellent videos teaching saddle stitching online and information about those videos on this forum.

Thanks! This set will really help me out! I am planning on purchasing it soon. It seems to be at a good price, with good reviews. It also seems to have a good amount of items. Thanks for the tips!

2 hours ago, zuludog said:

Firstly, Welcome to the fun!

Secondly, I don't do carving/tooling/stamping

Generally speaking, the leather craft kits from Amazon aren't very good, and generally again, you'd be better off putting your money towards something better ----- on the other hand, if the price is very low you'll get a good selection for little money, so it might be worth a go just to try it and get started. And from the look of those kits some of the tools are reasonable enough, so even if you keep some and dump others the overall cost would still be reasonable.

However, paradoxically, if that's the right word, you need some experience to decide ..... like I said, welcome to the fun

I suggest you Search YouTube for 'beginners leather tools' and similar categories, there are several videos. Each one is similar but slightly different, reflecting the preference of the individual leather worker but watch a few and you'll get the general idea.

Also watch YT videos on making the items you fancy, such as wallets, belts, knife sheaths, pouches, and you'll see what other people use and how they do things There are also videos on techniques such as saddle stitch, edge finishing, sharpening edge bevellers, and so on 

Get a shopping list together and build up your tool kit as you need it

I only know a few suppliers in the USA - Weaver, Tandy, and Rocky Mountain Leather Supply, but I'm sure other people will add their suggestions. 

Thanks! I will definitely try to stop by some of those suppliers!

5 hours ago, DJole said:

Check out these beginner-oriented videos from  Leodis Leather. He discusses what tools you might already have, what leather to use, and so on. 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvoKYeh7ahyGB-numgnO3WxOVi3Sgkyzg

Okay!

9 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Here is what I can recommend - https://twentythreeplus.com/collections/tools/products/beginner-tooling-kit

Joe is a good guy and sharpens the blade so you know how they should be instead of guessing with a dull blade. 

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, MasonLikesLeather said:

Thanks! This set will really help me out! I am planning on purchasing it soon. It seems to be at a good price, with good reviews. It also seems to have a good amount of items. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks! I will definitely try to stop by some of those suppliers!

Okay!

Thanks!

There's about five things in that amazon set you will use for any length of time, most of it is pretty low rate tools, we used to call that stuff junk. If you have the money buy the kit Bruce Johnson linked at least you can sell it if you don't like leather work. 

4 hours ago, zuludog said:

the leather craft kits from Amazon aren't very good, and generally again, you'd be better off putting your money towards something better ----- on the other hand, if the price is very low you'll get a good selection for little money, so it might be worth a go just to try it and get started

@zuludog you are right that they are not top notch but they are not abysmally bad either. They work for a newbie, to get an idea of the craft. Besides the prices are low and even if half the items are discarded later, the price is such that, buying what remains in use individually, would still be more expensive than getting them as part of a set. And time consuming and a headache too! So at least for me, it was convenient and practical to get a kit as a beginner. Besides I was clueless and everything is bewildering when new to a craft.. .Getting a kit at least allowed me to stop worrying about what tools to get and allowed me to think about the leathers and what I wanted to make. 

4 hours ago, zuludog said:

I'm not sure of that. :)I mean, a bad stamp  does not give clear results. A bad punch takes a dozen hammers for a single hole, and so on. 

Incidentally, @MasonLikesLeather, if you don't have a set of knife sharpening stones, I suggest you get them. Leather needs very sharp edges and some of us even sharpen the box cutters that we use (very useful for cutting leather). Different grits or just go to Temu and get their diamond sharpening stones - at a fraction of the cost of Amazon or elsewhere and they work as well, I find.

So many of us giving you so much information!   I am still new enough to remember how bewildered I was. Good luck.:)

Edited by SUP

@MasonLikesLeather, I just have to say this.  So much information from so many of us!  I would suggest, just take it easy, relax and do what makes your heart sing. Even if you make a tiny key-chain to start. No reason why you need to go for bigger things in the beginning. A cut piece of leather held together with a rivet - it gives a sense of accomplishment that matches or exceeds that from much more complicated projects done later on. So just jump in once you get your tools. Have fun!

Also worth noting, If you just want to play with some leather, Leather Pyrography is another thing to play with.  

I bought one of those fairly inexpensive wood burning tools and played around with making hat patches. I bought one with an adjustable temperature because you don't want to go too hot with leather.

Just another option.

29 minutes ago, elnedro said:

Also worth noting, If you just want to play with some leather, Leather Pyrography is another thing to play with.  

I bought one of those fairly inexpensive wood burning tools and played around with making hat patches. I bought one with an adjustable temperature because you don't want to go too hot with leather.

Just another option.

Thanks. Noted. As I was walking around some vendors for July 4th today, I noticed a leather "provider" or what ever you call it. He was selling Authentic Leather. He also sold belts, wallets, and other things made out of leather. Would any of those things be helpful?

2 hours ago, SUP said:

@MasonLikesLeather, I just have to say this.  So much information from so many of us!  I would suggest, just take it easy, relax and do what makes your heart sing. Even if you make a tiny key-chain to start. No reason why you need to go for bigger things in the beginning. A cut piece of leather held together with a rivet - it gives a sense of accomplishment that matches or exceeds that from much more complicated projects done later on. So just jump in once you get your tools. Have fun!

Thanks! I will have fun!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

41 minutes ago, MasonLikesLeather said:

Thanks. Noted. As I was walking around some vendors for July 4th today, I noticed a leather "provider" or what ever you call it. He was selling Authentic Leather. He also sold belts, wallets, and other things made out of leather. Would any of those things be helpful?

Typically "Authentic leather" just means it's real leather, as opposed to vegan leather or whatever synthetic.  However it it said "Genuine Leather", that would mean its a lower quality and it's like the equivalent of MDF in wood.  

As for whether they would be helpful, sure... in the sense of inspiration.  Did you see something he was selling that you wish you could make?  Then google how to make them.  Youtube is great, and Tandy has their online leather craft library  https://tandyleather.com/blogs/leathercraft-library. great for ideas and how to guides. Weaver leather does some good simple videos too on YouTube,

I got my start when I bought a Tandy's beginner kit, which came with 8 weeks of free lessons. If you are close to a Tandy's store, I can highly recommend this. Their tools are good enough quality to get you started in this wonderful hobby!

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I got my start when I bought a Tandy's beginner kit, which came with 8 weeks of free lessons. If you are close to a Tandy's store, I can highly recommend this. Their tools are good enough quality to get you started in this wonderful hobby!

Yes! Thanks for the information/advice.

Amazon are highly over priced for low quality. Buy what you need when you need it

Put in your profile whereabouts you are and we can advice where to shop for better quality and for bargains

10 hours ago, fredk said:

Amazon are highly over priced for low quality. Buy what you need when you need it

Put in your profile whereabouts you are and we can advice where to shop for better quality and for bargains

Thanks for the information! This will definitely come to mind when ever I think about purchasing my first tools, sets, and leather.