waynebergman

Still on the hunt in Canada

Still looking for a machine for stitching leather. I came close with a sailrite that was used and close to me but the owner decided to keep it. I have read about the super cheapy chinnese patchers and I am not that desperate for this kind of a headache. This patcher in the scren shoot here seems reasonable and in Canadian dollars with free shipping. Any one with experience on this machine (sorry no name brand given in add) I am wondering if it will mark the leather , I work with nat veg tan. It looks like i coud add a servo motor down the road but no use throwing money at junk if this machine is no good to start with. Any tips much appreciated........wayne

Screen Shot 2024-07-17 at 9.10.23 PM.png

The seller claims to be Bed Bath and Beyond, which is a US based household accessories reseller. They are not in the sewing machines business. The price shown for this machine is suspiciously low. Patchers like this usually sell for four times the listed price. This page could be a knock-off website. Even if it's a legit website, you would probably be buying a machine that will be drop shipped from China. You will be on your own to assemble it, power it, and repair it if something is wrong with it.

There are reputable industrial sewing machine dealers in Canada. I recommend contacting some of them.

Thanks Wiz, I checked out the site web address and it seems ligit. Canadian end of it and BedBath for sure. ONe thing is kind of wierd is the size of the machine, it almost looks small in this photo and specs say less than 8" tall , I wonder whats up with this, are this patchers made in this super small size?

Screen Shot 2024-07-18 at 9.02.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-18 at 9.03.21 AM.png

7 minutes ago, waynebergman said:

ONe thing is kind of wierd is the size of the machine, it almost looks small in this photo and specs say less than 8" tall , I wonder whats up with this, are this patchers made in this super small size?

Hell no! An actual boot patcher is about 18 inches tall! They weigh about 70 pounds and are usually mounted on a treadle base. Otherwise, you'll need to buy an industrial sewing table for it, and add a motor and all the linkages required to power it. If you buy that piece of Chines junk, and actually receive a machine, it won't be ready to use as is. You may also be liable for duty and other taxes. This looks like a scam to me. A patcher is worth over 2000 bucks new, and about 800 used. And, that's just for this particular size. They come in two different sizes. This is the small size. You really need to do more homework before you buy any machine that isn't from a dealer.

Search for posts and photos of a Singer 29k71, or 29k171, to see what the last models actually look like, mounted and ready to sew.

There is no possible way Bed Bath & Beyond sells patchers. They don’t even sell regular light-duty fabric sewing machines. 

Where in Canada Wayne?   i am in northern wisconsin and have at least one 29-4 i could part with, and a durkopf 17-2-2 that appears all there including hook and bobbin.

pm mefor details

18 hours ago, ksteers said:

Where in Canada Wayne?

According to the IP address, he is located at Sechelt, British Columbia, V0N 3A3, Canada

According to the dimensions listed there it’s 16.93 inches high.                                                    Add me to the do not risk buying this list.