CdK

I tried this so you do not need to...

...So there I was...

Did you know that Resolene will curdle when you add rubbing alcohol to it?

I was getting the airbrush ready to finish some holsters with Resolene. I thin it with water for better spraying, done this many times before and it has always worked well. Instead of going into the house to get some water I thinned it with some 91% alcohol I had on hand. :censored2:

Thankfully I mixed these in a small jar so the waste is minimal.

Always good to know stuff like that. Thanks for the tip.

9 hours ago, CdK said:

Did you know that Resolene will curdle when you add rubbing alcohol to it?

Good info. Lucky you did spray that through the gun.

kgg

9 minutes ago, kgg said:

Good info. Lucky you did spray that through the gun.

kgg

No, I shook the small jar to mix the solution and noticed it was off before I tried to spray it. Cleaning out a Paasche is not fun, ask me how I know...

Well, thanks for taking one for the team.

@CdK, I can send you more Resolene when you run low.  My short experience with it was watching it lift the dye and discolor the thread on a project that I was previously proud of.  I swore off acrylic finishes, for better or worse, but still suffer from flashbacks when using light colored thread.

Edited by TomE

18 minutes ago, TomE said:

@CdK, I can send you more Resolene when you run low.  My short experience with it was watching it lift the dye and discolor the thread on a project that I was previously proud of.  I swore off acrylic finishes, for better or worse, but still suffer from flashbacks when using light colored thread.

@TomETom, thank you for the kind offer. I don't need any for the foreseeable future as a quart will last me a very long time.

I learned early on that the product must be used sparingly and with care or lousy outcomes will occur. I found that diluted 50/50 with water and sprayed on works well, dauber or brush, not so much. Gives me a satin finish with a lustre that preserves the natural texture & look of the underlying leather. This locks in the pro dye well and prevents smearing or rub-off. It does not totally seal the leather and NFO & balm will still be absorbed by the leather after application. I have seen too many completed projects that are shiny from heavy application and cracking and spalling off is often the outcome. Typical example where less is more.

I have not witnessed discoloration of thread but then again I use bonded polyester or nylon for my sewing. I will remember your heads-up and will do a test first when I use different thread.

Edited by CdK

28 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Well, thanks for taking one for the team.

@AlZilla It's OK, it is only a flesh wound!

3 hours ago, CdK said:

I have not witnessed discoloration of thread but then again I use bonded polyester or nylon for my sewing. I will remember your heads-up and will do a test first when I use different thread.

I guess I should give it another try, being more careful in the application.  I mostly use bridle leather that has a pretty nice sheen already, so I haven't revisited Resolene.  The thread discoloration resulted from straight Resolene acting like a solvent to solubilize the dye pigment, which was deposited on the thread.