toxo

Pride stuff!

The sewing shop that hangs a few of my offerings has a good percentage of lbgtqxyz etc ?

I mentioned that I might try some pride stuff and she said it might go down well especially as she is taking a stall at a big pride convention thing in August and she would take some things with her. This is my first attempt. I'm aware that we don't make much on keyrings so this is upholstery leather on some stuff I was never gonna use so ok on materials but that was eclipsed by sewing time. By the time I got to the first picture I hated my sewing machine and I absolutely knew that some bits would be unusable but hey! We have to experiment don't we!

20240728_155416.jpg

This is what was in my minds eye when I started and although it doesn't look as though there's much to it, it took a surprising amount of work.

Was it worth it? I'll let you know.

20240728_172445.jpg

@toxo That is a lot of work! You have got all the lines so regular and straight and even. It  certainly looks worth it! The final 'fabric' is bright, beautiful and cheerful as are the keychains.  Good work, my friend.:)

Hey  those particular colors are nice together as well as suiting the purpose of Pride.   I wonder, did the stitching stay together okay on the final objects, seeing as so much of it had to be cut to create the multicolor strips?  

You're a glutton for punishment! Impressive job, though, and I'm sure they'll sell well, given the intended market.

On a side note, I see you got the colours right, "they" persist in referring to it as a rainbow but a rainbow has seven colours whereas "theirs" only has six. It always makes me shake my head and smile.

7 minutes ago, dikman said:

You're a glutton for punishment! Impressive job, though, and I'm sure they'll sell well, given the intended market.

On a side note, I see you got the colours right, "they" persist in referring to it as a rainbow but a rainbow has seven colours whereas "theirs" only has six. It always makes me shake my head and smile.

Can’t imagine why they use only six colors…

5 minutes ago, Mablung said:

Can’t imagine why they use only six colors…

:dunno: It will likely remain one of life's mysteries.

On 7/29/2024 at 2:51 PM, SUP said:

@toxo That is a lot of work! You have got all the lines so regular and straight and even. It  certainly looks worth it! The final 'fabric' is bright, beautiful and cheerful as are the keychains.  Good work, my friend.:)

Thanks @SUP Took a lot of head scratching, mainly trying to work out how I was gonna be able to use a sewing machine guide at some point using very thin leather without marking it. The answer was basting tape. Glue the first strip down and then run a strip of BT along the top edge. Then use the edge of the BT to align the bottom of the next strip and then BT that strip and so on. No need to mark the leather.

@Aventurine A very good question. Look at the one on the right and you'll see it stitched all the way around. Very finicky and time consuming which would drive up the price. I could glue the edge with colour which again adds to the time. I don't think this is a "premium" product which puts me in one of those quandaries that pop up whenever money is involved.

I think the answer lies in a wider band which would be easier sewing around the edge. I would have to make another clicker die cos I don't have a wider one.

Edited by Northmount

I believe it's good to support anyone who is harmless yet oppressed, disempowered, or unfairly burdened.   So, @toxo , thank you.   I figure you didn't make enough money at Pride to compensate for your labor and materials (craftspeople usually don't), let alone profit much, yet you gave your time and conscious attention  to help make the event.  Time and consciousness are, after all, what our lives are made out of.   You gave us -- me --  some of yours.  Thank you.  Much appreciated.

Edited by Northmount

On 7/29/2024 at 8:54 PM, PurpleBronc said:

That is sick. Don't understand why anybody could support them. It is definitely not pleasing to God

Not even remotely appropriate to work being presented. Or anything else relating to leather or craftsmanship.

I have to stop here or I will type something ungodly that I will regret. 

17 hours ago, Aventurine said:

I believe we should all try to be truly moral, to our own best and most profoundly contemplated understanding of what that means, rather than obedient.  We ought to try to live authentic lives, be kind to one another, seek peace when possible, contribute to our societies, reduce the causes of suffering, and protect the planet for the sake of future generations. 

Well said. Trying to be as truly good a person as possible is all that matters.  

Edited by Northmount

Let's get back to leatherwork here and away from other non-related matters.

@toxo are you planning to stitch around the edges like the one on the right? It would be a pity if they opened up, after all your hard work and care for detail. 

20240728_172445.jpg

@toxo I have to agree, that looks like a lot of work, but you have done it well.  Did you have to do any special setup to keep everything aligned and even?

Edited by Northmount

And now, why not get back to the subject of this forum in general and this thread specifically?

If anyone wants to discus religion or does not like what is done here or the people here, there are surely other forums for such people. Just not this one.

As my wise old great-grandmother used to say, " If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.'

Edited by Northmount

Have edited this thread to remove overtly religious comments.  Just the same as politics has no place on this forum, same goes for your religious or sexual or antisocial preferences.  This forum is about leather.  Let's keep it that way.

Thread is now locked.