SoMoKraftworks

how to cut a LONG strap for a tracking line?

I have always been curious how does one cut a strap from a hide that will need to be a length between 15'-30'?  Given that most hides are about 8' in total length.  What is the method of loop or spiral cutting for lack of a better term to make one consistent length longer than a standard leash.  
Keeping in mind this is out of 9-12 ounce latigo and strap width of about 1/2".  
Picture for reference.  

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 11.52.00 AM.png

Edited by SoMoKraftworks

You cut a big circular spiral of the strap width in the best area of the hide, avoiding the belly. Then wet it thoroughly, stretch it out and let it dry and you have a strap as long as you want

Fred has the answer.  I cut and straighten lace that way, too.  Bonus hint, pull the strap through a round hole while it's damp to make it round.

There is another way to cut the strip; cut along the backbone area the full length, at a curve, at the end do a gentle sweeping 180* turn-about and keep cutting, at the end you started at do another gentle sweeping 180* turn-about, keep cutting, repeat. Then thoroughly soak the leather, stretch out tightly and let it dry completely, then you have your very long strap

I just remembered, I think it was Tandy sold a spiral die cutter. I think it was for cutting long runs of lace

22 hours ago, SoMoKraftworks said:

I have always been curious how does one cut a strap from a hide that will need to be a length between 15'-30'?  Given that most hides are about 8' in total length.  What is the method of loop or spiral cutting for lack of a better term to make one consistent length longer than a standard leash.  
Keeping in mind this is out of 9-12 ounce latigo and strap width of about 1/2".  
Picture for reference.  

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 11.52.00 AM.png

It is standard practice to splice straps together for driving reins. Skive the ends for about 5-6 inches of overlap. Two or three lines of stitching down the length of the splice. 

And when you go to figure out how big a piece you will need . . . remember that if the strap were 1 inch wide . . . in one square foot . . . you would have 12 feet of 1 inch strap.  

Since you are cutting it at 1/2 inch . . . that doubles the strap length to 24 feet . . . if you want a 30 ft strap . . . you can start out with 1 1/4 square feet.

Cutting it in a square piece is impossible so you at least have to look at a circle as the first possibility . . . and you don't want to have the last few inches sorely bent . . . 

Cutting an 18 inch circle . . . using a strap cutter set at 1/2 inch  . . . you would wind up with a 30 ft strap . . . and roughly an 8 inch diameter piece left over in the middle.

Again . . . soak it . . . stretch it . . . let it dry . . . viola . . . STRAP . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

(provided I did my math correctly . . . )