AlZilla

Most useful machine?

About all I use is hand tools and everything I make is hand sewn. The one machine that I do really enjoy having is a bench sander. With belt and disc. And if I could only choose one machine to keep it would be the sander. Before I got it I would cut everything flush as I could with razor then hand sand which worked but boy is it nice to just run the edge of holster or belt or whatever over the bench sander then go back to hand finishing and slicking.

10 hours ago, AlZilla said:

I know that the die material can be purchased in lengths. Are you saying that it's easily formed around, say, a wooden cutout?

Exactly that. 

Rule Steel Dies.jpg

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Exactly that. 

Rule Steel Dies.jpg

Another avenue of adventure. For some reason, I thought it was more akin to actual metalworking.

Is there a particular gauge, thickness or however they're measured you recommend to do the type of work you show in the picture?

Thanks for the tip off.

Edited by AlZilla

10 hours ago, kgg said:

i) good CAD design software which can have steep learning curve like Autodesk Fusion 360

That right there is one of my big concerns.

I like your review of equipment. Those weren't the brands that had been on my reading list. I might well come back and pick your brain when I start edging in that direction again.

Edited by AlZilla

8 hours ago, HandyDave said:

About all I use is hand tools and everything I make is hand sewn. The one machine that I do really enjoy having is a bench sander. With belt and disc. And if I could only choose one machine to keep it would be the sander. Before I got it I would cut everything flush as I could with razor then hand sand which worked but boy is it nice to just run the edge of holster or belt or whatever over the bench sander then go back to hand finishing and slicking.

Yes, early on some of the videos I saw featured a drum or belt sander and I grabbed right on to that idea.  So, if the stitch line wanders from the edge a bit - move the edge!  :)

29 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

That right there is one of my big concerns.

There are a lot of Fusion 360 youtube video's that would be helpful in getting started and as you use it the easier it gets. Just choose one CAD program and stick with it.

I like your review of equipment.

Thank you. I did not include any of the typical 3D machines you see on buying sites like A mazon as I discounted them from the very beginning.

I might well come back and pick your brain when I start edging in that direction again.

If I can offer anything just drop me a note.

kgg

Edited by kgg

7 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Another avenue of adventure. For some reason, I thought it was more akin to actual metalworking.

Is there a particular gauge, thickness or however they're measured you recommend to do the type of work you show in the picture?

Thanks for the tip off.

If you're serious I can point you to everything you need.

I did do a post about a year ago detailing what you need and where to get it. You might do a search for "Rule Steel".

5 hours ago, toxo said:

If you're serious I can point you to everything you need.

I did do a post about a year ago detailing what you need and where to get it. You might do a search for "Rule Steel".

Got it - rule steel. I'll read up on it and make it a winter project. I have a small hydraulic press.

Thanks!

EDIT: It looks like they're bending the stuff with nothing more than a push clamp. I can fabricate something that'll do simple curves and corners.  Thanks for the push!

Edited by AlZilla

On 9/5/2024 at 6:31 AM, AlZilla said:

Yes, early on some of the videos I saw featured a drum or belt sander and I grabbed right on to that idea.  So, if the stitch line wanders from the edge a bit - move the edge!  :)

I like to leave a bit extra meat on my edges where it can be. Then after sewing I can trim edge down and run it across my sander then start edge finish work. Makes getting the edges nice and smooth so much easier which we know for a good finished edge it needs to be good and smooth.