Hi all,

I´m a newbie leather hobbyist. I have searched the forum but could not find my exact problem.

I'm trying to deep dye some straps to make belts. I got natural veg tan shoulders from a dealer in Germany. I´m using fiebings pro dye (English bridle).  

The thing is that I´m getting like splashes in my leather and not an even coat. I have tried deep dyeing from 20 seconds to 20 minutes. I have tried using a dilution of oxalic acid (I think I saw it here), even fiebings Dye prep to clean the leather. Same results. 

I roll each strap and deep dye it on a square container. Maybe should I try a long container and dye them flat? Anyone knows if they exist?

Can anyone help me? I attach some pics. The first ones are after 24h drying time. The others after applying some fiebings neatsfoot oil.

Thanks

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-09-05 a las 07.36.00_0e2d1730.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-09-05 a las 07.36.00_b88aaba0.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-09-05 a las 07.36.01_ae044f16.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-09-05 a las 07.36.01_3db38bbf.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-09-05 a las 07.36.01_004abd4d.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-09-05 a las 07.36.01_dfbe6e54.jpg

I dip dye 95% of my VT leather and can tell you what works for me.
I use Fiebings Pro dye and most of it I dilute 50/50 with Isopropyl alcohol (90%).
I use Rubbermaid plastic tubs that are about 10" x 4" or so (don't remember the exact size).
I drag the straps through slowly, so that every inch is submerged for about 5 seconds.
In general, I get good, even color, with adequate penetration of the dye.
Now, I have actually seen these kinds of marks the few times that I tried rolling the straps up and soaking them in the dye for a minute or 2 and then unrolling them as I pull them from the tank. The dye can't get to the inner rolled portions.
But even those were not dyed really deeply, even on the outer portions of the roll.
You could try to zig-zag them n the tank and move them around a bit.
Next, Oxacilic acid is not used to dilute anything. You wipe in on the strap to bleach it and let it dry, then dye.
Finally, You might have a very fatty side of leather.
I personally have never been able to dye through and through. I think tanners do something different to get it all the way through.
Try the long plastic tank and just drag it through slowly. Usually the slower the pull the darker the color.
Let us know how that works.

Thanks for the reply, I´ll try that. 

The Oxalic acid I have used it diluted with water (I have powder) to clean the leather before the dye.

EDIT: I have also tried today, in a new strap, oil it first as I saw in the forums and then dyied them in a larger bunk. It looks much better. 

I'll look into the diluted dye with isopropyl. I assume I'll get a lighter color.

Edited by nickhell

Acids and bases are not good for leather unless absolutely necessary. Oxalic acid is usually used for  lightening leather. I know people use it for cleaning as well, but there are other products available that are safer on leather. Try saddle soap. A good wipe down with clean water  usually maintains the pH. 

As for Dyeing, what @TomE  explained is how many of us dye longer pieces of leather. It seems to be one of the few ways to get an even color. The dye can be reused many times until it gets used up anyway.

In my fledgling dyeing, I've found that wetting the leather down first really evens out the dye job.  Dauber, dipping, whatever way I do it, it just works better wet.

EDIT: Though I have to admit, I like the distressed look of those straps. Put some kind of a cowboy theme on them, slick the edges and give'em a shiny finish. They'll look like a million bucks.

Edited by AlZilla