toxo

Marking leather.

I'm on the flesh side of black leather so normal methods don't work. I'm used to using the silver pens but I ran out so I looked on Amazon and found these. They seem to have some remarkable properties. Read the blurb. I can say that they seem to work very well on the grain side but schools still out on the flesh side. They do work but I'd like the line to be a little brighter. You can't complain about the price though.

100Pcs Heat Erasable Fabric Pens Heat Pens White High Temperature Disappearing Pen for Leather, Fabric, Quilting, Dressmaker : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

I've just ordered some of these in the hop that they are brighter.

100pcs Leather Marking Pen Toold For Leather Cutting Leathercraft | eBay

The best I've found out of what I have is a correction fluid pen which I think is some kind of liquid chalk. Lines too thick but it's the brightest so far (on the flesh side).

Would love to hear if others are using something better.

Usually, on the back side I don't need the markings to be removable. Or I cut them off. I use an ordinary black biro or on really dark chrome tan leather I use a Tippex type pen

I like these because they are in different colors. They also have single color sets, silver included. You might get the same in the UK.

1 minute ago, SUP said:

I like these because they are in different colors. They also have single color sets, silver included. You might get the same in the UK.

Did you miss a link SUP?

15 minutes ago, SUP said:

They look like the ones I bought the other day. Great on the top side. Not so much on the flesh side.

Oh. Okay.

On the flesh side I usually use an ordinary pencil, I just remembered. I got one with a rather thick lead from Temu, and it works well for that.

3 hours ago, SUP said:

Oh. Okay.

On the flesh side I usually use an ordinary pencil, I just remembered. I got one with a rather thick lead from Temu, and it works well for that.

I'm on black flesh side and it's slightly furry and get's manipulated quite a bit so I need something that stands out and lasts. If you look at my patchwork thread you'll see what I mean. If one square is out of sync it throws out those around it.

I've recently bought some paint marker pens for my modelling. I've bought some with a 1mm tip in white, silver, as well as other colours. The white ones are selling for under £3 for 3 on ebay from China. To buy one locally expect at least £4.50 each . The silver ones are under £2 each, ebay, local

edited to add; these are not alcohol ink pens like sharpies, they are paint pens, either acrylics or oils. I use them for colouring in the markings on my game boards. The larger tipped ones are aimed at car detailers for colouring the lettering on tyres 

Edited by fredk

15 hours ago, toxo said:

I'm on black flesh side and it's slightly furry and get's manipulated quite a bit so I need something that stands out and lasts

Have you tried gold or silver acrylic marker pens? Not sure how long they will last on the flesh side though.

The problem I've run into when using silver or white pen for marking any side of the leather is drawing the ink through while cutting. Then not realizing it's on the cutting surface, and it marks up the face. 

I've started using soft charcoal or graphite pencils to mark natural, and white color pencil for dark leather. That way they can be easily cleaned off the surface if my knife draws it through the leather

Edited by DoubleKCustomLeathercraft

Guess I'm the odd ball.  Used pencils for long time . . . 80 year old eyes got where I could not see it as well as I wanted to.

Started using ball point pen on flesh side . . . made too many mistakes of cutting it backwards.

Said to heck with it  . . . use ball point pen on hair side . . . ink gets cut off in the edging process . . . 

AND . . . I can see what I'm cutting

May God bless,

Dwight