Doc325

Saddle stitch

Evening guys and girls!

Assistance required:

I'm new to this, having saddle stitching issues. I'm using Tandy 3.5mm diamond chisel. .8 thread.

I've done the tutorials, open sea leather clicked, so I thought. I'm doing exactly how it was described, in from back side (my left), the "t" with needles, back through hole, loop over.

If I loop, back side is slanted. Front side is flat. No loop, front side is slanted, back side is flat.

If I do it like Chuck Dorsett from Weaver, front is slanted, back is flat.

I'm having difficulty loading pics, can't figure this out.

Layne (Doc325)

Besides your problem loading pics I don't understand what's wrong, from your description it sounds like your stitches are ok?

That's the issue, the good side is not slanted while back side is when I do the loop.

1 hour ago, Doc325 said:

I'm having difficulty loading pics, can't figure this out.

Take a look through this thread.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/

It also includes information on resizing your photos so the fit the file size limitations here.

Moved your post to sewing leather.  You'll find more information here as well about saddle stitching and stitching irons.

It's not uncommon for front/back stitch to not exactly match.  If it's really bad, that can be an indication that the thread you're using is too thick for leather thickness.

Check out saddle-stitching videos by Nigel Armitage.  Four parts.  A bit lengthy but very thorough.

Cheers, thank you guys.

Appreciate the assistance. 

I'd suggest that 0,8 mm thread is a bit too thick for 3,5 mm spacing chisels. Hence changing to 0,6 mm thread might help

As you might expect, there are several YT Videos about saddle stitch; have a look at those by J H Leather.