Kovant

Thread for boots and shoes

Hello

So far I have been using hemp yarn for welted and for the sole to make boots and shoes (all handmade).

In principle I will continue to use it for the welted as it suits me well (unless you advise me on a thread that is more worthwhile),  but I would like to use another more polished and in different colors for the sole.

I have no idea what thickness is suitable or the most appropriate material. 

Could someone help me? 

Thank you very much

Edited by Kovant

Most use braided or twisted polyester or nylon thread. There are a lot of threads on the market, but the ones I use are the Ritza 25 braided and the Maine Thread Company braided and twisted. I like braided better than twisted, because the twisted tends to come unraveled as one stitches, due to the pressure on the tail. It can be retwisted to a degree, but it’s a bit of a pain. The braided Maine Thread is a round braid, unlike the Ritza flat braid. The Maine Thread feels stronger to me, but it’s also a royal PITA to pierce with a needle that has a large enough eye to thread effectively. I use 0.8mm, generally, but 0.6 would also do the trick. I tend to buy heavy threads because I don’t make many delicate items, and a lot of what I make needs to hold up to some heavy use. 

I use black Nyltex Thread for anything sole related.  I know Springfield carries it as well as several other supply houses.  As far as I know, it comes in at least 3 colors, black, brown and white.  You might find it in tan as well.  I think it only comes in one thickness. 

4 hours ago, Aven said:

I use black Nyltex Thread for anything sole related.  I know Springfield carries it as well as several other supply houses.  As far as I know, it comes in at least 3 colors, black, brown and white.  You might find it in tan as well.  I think it only comes in one thickness. 

Good to know. Is it a particular kind of nylon? I may get some for some hunting boots I plan to make soon, as I need to attach the sole very sturdily. 

I honestly don't know much about it.  It's what Jason had us use in the shoe making classes.  It was impossible to break and it comes prewaxed.

I know that several shoe making shops, orthopedic supple houses carry it. 
 Are there other options? Probably, but I was satisfied with it.  I've only used it on three pairs of shoes with rubber soles, so my experience is limited. 

If you want a more informed option, you could contact Southern leather Co or Springfield to see what they know about it.