Sign in to follow this  
Irishleather

Singer 51 W 25 Stitch length?

I just picked up a Singer 51 W 25, I think. The badge is gone. What I am asking about:  I see a lever to the right that I thought would increase the stitch length, and the lever does move a rod along a slide changing, maybe, the feeddog shaft? Not sure what I am looking at yet. Is that what that lever is suppose to do? Also I broke the bobbin case tension spring, thought I could coax it to put pressure on the thread, since completelty tight did not. But, ya, that didn't work. Works on newer stuff. So I hope one is coming from an eBay seller, although it didn't identify that machine.  I saw on on here, but nothing that might speak to a similar machine so I can figure out the stitch regulator, if that's what it is.  Advice? Beautiful old table! I put pictures in, then thought to choose a better one, now it won't let me load any. lol  

There they are. :) 

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG

OK, I got it moving everything including the feed dogs. I'm using a needle from my  Singer 17-23. I think it might be a good match, it is with the hook, but it is pretty sunk before the teeth go below the plate. So that sounds like a feed adjustment. So far the stiches are aroun 9 to an inch. I am afraid that is too small for leather. Which could put me in search of a post bed with longer stitiches. 

44 minutes ago, Irishleather said:

Beautiful old table! I put pictures in, then thought to choose a better one, now it won't let me load any. lol  

If your files are too large to post here due to file size restrictions, you need to resize your files to fit.  Follow this link for some helps and suggestions.  https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/?do=findComment&comment=551171

There are lots of Apps, software, and online tools available on the web, or even built into your device to enable you to reduce your file sizes.  800 pixels in the longest dimension is quite adequate.  Smart phone screens and many monitors don't display high res files in high resolution.  People that live on the fringes of the internet appreciate smaller file sizes and high res photos may take from 10 minutes to hours to download.

You have an early 51w based on a wheeler & Wilson machine. The later 51w models looked a bit different. I have a similar one that I restored some years ago.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86292-singer-51w-sv-2-post-bed-machine-restoration/

grafik.png.4b7dc17121e672da9455e3886fa094cc.png

If the lever does not move then loosen the set screw on the front side

Bild1.jpg.eb922805b3d544b97e45039a9624f90f.jpg

I have attached manual that will work for your machine.

Hope this helps

Singer 51w100 and 52w100 - instructions for using and adjusting.pdf

Edited by Constabulary