Sign in to follow this  
steveb

knife handle and sheath

this went out today.

I like making sheaths -but they take along time to figure out - as each blade needs its own special carrying style.

this one was a PITA to work with - weird weight to it and not very sheath friendly

backl to work!!

steveb

steveb1__Medium_.jpg

steveb2__Medium_.jpg

steveb3__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1197926835_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197926851_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197926863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
reduced pic sizes

Hey Steve that is very nice I like the way you pebbeled around to give the backgroeund texture. What kind of money do you ask for a knife sheath like this one?

Beautiful work Steve. I like the contrast you have with knife handle and sheath color. Some like the sheath color the same as the handle of the knife, I tend to like more of a contrast between the two. The sheath color is wonderful. I like the tooling designe as well. The sheath is very well done IHO.

That looks very nice Steve. You definately have a very disinct look to your work.

Awesome work! I would think it would be hard to figure out the right sheath for each knife and still satisfy the customer.

Man the skills on this board is just amazing (which on an average i bring down LOL ) . Great work. I love the way you just grazed it with the background tool, very nice touch.

thanks all - i really liked the way the color came out - burgundy, dark brown and an overspray of saddle tan to knock down the burgundy. I like the uneven border stamping and the rough uneven pebbling, gives it an aged hand hewn look.

as far as making sheaths that saitisfy my customers - the trick is - i get free reign to do what i want, maybe with some direction about decoration - in this instance the customer wanted something a bit feminine, with flowers. Normally i am not big on flowers an I suck at sheridan style ornamentation - so i avoid it. But i have some cheaters - some chan greer cutting plates that i use in these rare instances...hence the flowers

the trick ive learned with sheaths is that they have to work well, I make mine with internal locks and to hold the locks -they are sewn along the welt also -in place or to provide a pressure point at a critical spot -i use a rivet - a good sheath has to let the knife go if it is tugged in a certain way, but also hold onto it if it is "grabbed" from a different direction...mine do that - but it takes time to know how to make the welt and lock.

steveb

Like Freak says:the skills here are amazing...The work too !

Everytime i see some new,old work of you guys,well...I just drop my mouth.

It's amazing what you can do.

I also like the knife,the damas is wonderfull,is it ivory the handle ?

Just Great

Steveb this is very nice. Good clean work. I'm diggin it and this site even more with the great examples like this.

Great looking sheath! WOW, lot's of "show off" eye candy this morning...now I'm gonna be late for work!!