What is best way to apply Neatlac? Spray, daub, rub in, etc? Any difference in reccomendations for use over spirit or eco dyes?

Thanks,

Regis

Whenever I apply Neat Lac, I rub it in good with a piece of sheepskin trimmed short. You shouln't have any problem putting it over spirit dye, I am not sure about eco flow, you better try that on scrap first. Someone once said that you shouldn't let neat lac dry in between coats if you want to apply more than one coat or it will crack so I always go over it twice without letting it dry and haven't have any problems with it. Another thing you can do is mix spirit dye into the neatlac for different colors.

What is the purpose of using neatlac? To help oil and condition the leather?

I've never had a problem with neatlac over the eco-flo stuff, although, I must say, I spray it rather than wool it. As Clay said, no problems over spirit dyes.

I apply it just as Clay has said , but then again i was told my ClayB and ClayM how to do it. I haven't tried it over eco-flo dye yet. I need to cause now i want to know if it will lift any of the color.

jlb the neatlac is used to seal the leather. I was taught to apply the neatlac then antique.

I'm a fan of spraying on neat lac....I don't like the little fuzzies from sheepskin, I never use the stuff for anything, but that is just a personal thing....being alergic to wool might have something to do with it too.

As far as the purpose of neat lac; it will stop crocking instantly. Crocking is the tendency of black to rub off, it will also protect antiquing paste. Neat Lac will also add a gloss to your finished product. I use it on all my black seats.

But use this stuff outside or get a spray booth....it is a pretty nasty lacquer compound.

Dave Theobald

http://theobaldleather.com

Edited by David