Sign in to follow this  

few in progress pictures

Here are a few in progress pictures. The "completed" seats are waiting to be stained. Any suggestions on how to "educate" these bike builders?..... They seem to want everything black. It really hides the tooling work.

I have my son helping me now, He does the seat backs and prepares the pans.... I tool the front and back and do the lacing. It is amazing how much time is spent on preparing those seat backs and pans. I can lace a seat in an evening...about 4+ hours. The tooling usually requires a day for the front and back and then overnight to dry. Not a fast production line but we are making progress on this order.

Dave

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

post-327-1174309246_thumb.jpg

post-327-1174309281_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean about the black - though not from seat experience - maybe make some as a sample in other colors so they can see what it would look like?

David, Could you please tell me the name of the lacing pattern you use. I like that. Is it possible to use it on the outside edge of a bag or whatever?

Thanks Mike

David, Could you please tell me the name of the lacing pattern you use. I like that. Is it possible to use it on the outside edge of a bag or whatever?

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

The lacing pattern is a double cordovan stitch. You can find it in Tandy's booklet titled How to Lace; no author. It is about a $5 booklet and worth it.

It wojuld be fine for the outer edge of a bag....I've also used it on knife sheaths.

Dave Theobald

I know what you mean about the black - though not from seat experience - maybe make some as a sample in other colors so they can see what it would look like?

Hi Holly,

I have done just that. with and without antiquing and in three other colors of stain. But, I don't think they are comfortable with matching the leather color with a paint color.....If the seat is black, they don't have to wonder if it will "look right".

I know it doesn't take much artistic ability to tell if this tan seat goes with this green paint job.... but for some reason, bike builders just "want it black"..... I've about given up. Someone much wiser than me once said...."It all pays the same"!

Dave Theobald :deadhorse:

Awesome, Dave! Black tends to be "safe," despite obliterating the tooling detail. I get the same herd mentality from bullriders...they all want what the other guy's got. On the other hand, there's always the one in ten or so that say, "Do what you want...knock me out." Those are the one's that I wait for.

Great looking stuff!

Awesome, Dave! Black tends to be "safe," despite obliterating the tooling detail. I get the same herd mentality from bullriders...they all want what the other guy's got. On the other hand, there's always the one in ten or so that say, "Do what you want...knock me out." Those are the one's that I wait for.

Great looking stuff!

Thanks for the encouraging words Bruce. Maybe I'm not just beating that dead horse! There is that occasional order that just wants the best that you can give him....Funny how those orders always get done first! I try to make at least one shipment to this guy every month.....Shooting for nine seats this month.

Dave

A very astute member wrote me an email telling me that I was dropping the last stitch when I laced my seats. I told him that I didn't think so...... shame on me...... Clay, you were right on the money! I was mis-lacing that last stitch...... once I turned all my instructions upside-down and backwards.... anyway you get the idea. Thanks Clay, a 100% improvement!

Dave Theobald

So what you are telling us is that Clay is a nit picker?

LOL

Good eye Clay...

Hey Wolfie,

Clay can pick my nits any time he wants.... He made a great improvement in the look of the seats. :notworthy:

Dave

Hey Wolvenstien, you been talking to my wife? She is always telling me that I am too picky! I usually try to be pretty careful about what I actually say about someone else's work. Sometimes it's hard to tell some things from a picture. In this case, I remember doing the same thing David was doing when I learned how to lace, and how much better it looked when I finally figured out what I didn't get.

As for picking nits, that sounds a little bit........um.... Gross! But it kinda reminds me of that new song by Brad Paisley, called "I'd like to check you for ticks". Now that could be interesting, depending on...........Ok, back to leatherwork :o)

LOL

As for picking nits, that sounds a little bit........um.... Gross! But it kinda reminds me of that new song by Brad Paisley, called "I'd like to check you for ticks". Now that could be interesting, depending on...........Ok, back to leatherwork :o)

Ok, Clay, it is time to pick nits again. How did I do this time around? I think the improvement is pretty dramatic. Thanks for pointing out what I was doing.

Dave

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

post-327-1175267133_thumb.jpg

post-327-1175267145_thumb.jpg

post-327-1175267158_thumb.jpg

post-327-1175267179_thumb.jpg

wow dave! that is quite a bunch of seats going at once!!

i find more time than not, it's easy to talk the customer out of black. it's just that is what they are used to. if i do have to make it all black i tool a bit differently. less detail and more texture to help it stand out as much as possible

wow dave! that is quite a bunch of seats going at once!!

i find more time than not, it's easy to talk the customer out of black. it's just that is what they are used to. if i do have to make it all black i tool a bit differently. less detail and more texture to help it stand out as much as possible

Hey Beeze,

Yes that is a bunch of seats going at one time; but since most of my work goes to one company; my son and I tend to make things in groups of three or six..... Joe makes 6 seat backs, I do 6 seat fronts, Joe prepares 6 seat pans with padding and other chores to rivet the backs in place; I tool 6 seat backs, and lace 6 tops to the pans and backs, Then we dye 6 seats. And ship 6 seats....much cheaper than shipping them individually.

Here are the last three.... They will go out today.

Dave Theobald

davidt__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1197929524_thumb.jpg

I really like that middle seat, David. What color is that? Really great work.

I really like that middle seat, David. What color is that? Really great work.

Hey Grumpy,

Thanks for replying and I'm glad you like the seat.

That seat is dyed with Tandy Pro Dye Buckskin #22056-10 and then antiqued with Fiebing's Sheridan Brown antiquing finish. The final finish is Fiebing's Leather Balm with atom wax. This is by far my favorite color for leather finishing.

Dave Theobald