Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

luminescent paints

i often use luminescent paints on my masks, but when i go to photo them they turn out looking very silvery and the true colours dont show. if i photograph them outside the sun makes them all glowy and if i do them inside with a flash they come out overexposed. if i dont use the flash inside they come out too dark..any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

i often use luminescent paints on my masks, but when i go to photo them they turn out looking very silvery and the true colours dont show. if i photograph them outside the sun makes them all glowy and if i do them inside with a flash they come out overexposed. if i dont use the flash inside they come out too dark..any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

If you can, put the camera on a tripod, or something to keep it stable, expose the film frame a bit longer and without the flash. If you want to use flash, try bouncing the flash off the ceiling by placing an index card or something like it in front of the flash and angling the card 15 or so degrees toward the cieling. This may only work with a 35 mm SLr, but I'd give it a try even with a point and shoot.

If you can, put the camera on a tripod, or something to keep it stable, expose the film frame a bit longer and without the flash. If you want to use flash, try bouncing the flash off the ceiling by placing an index card or something like it in front of the flash and angling the card 15 or so degrees toward the cieling. This may only work with a 35 mm SLr, but I'd give it a try even with a point and shoot.

Or you could filter the flash through a sheet or a handkerchief (perhaps several layers of hankies) or translucent something-or-other material... what you're trying to do is diffuse the flash so it doesn't blow out or wash out the picture. Play & experiment, especially if you're using digital (easy to delete). Even if using film, you need to play & experiment. I used to tell my students that film is the cheapest part of their equipment- use & waste lots of it. If you get 1 great shot out of 36, it's worth it. If you get 36 boring, lousy shots, you've just wasted a whole roll.

if your using digital try a suppressed flash and tripod?! I am rubbish at photograhy but it has worked for me in the past.

Tripod-once again, the photographers friend No.1.

A bean bag on a stool or even a book the same way would work. There's a little risk of shakes when pressing and realeasing the shutterbutton but a little practice and you get the hang of it. Just as long as you can get fokus on the object you should be fine.

Even without flash with my SLR camera I have problems with shiny reflections and gold/silver paints AND I think most photos currently up from me is taken before that plastic sealer is applied because of problems with reflections and that is without flash.

To get past those problems I need some smart lighting setup or a camera with higher dynamic range and those are rare.

Kate and RDB is on the right track with their homemade lightingboxes: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=219

A would make one aswell if I werent such a techfreak about photo, I just want a proffessional lightbox and small studiolights/flash.

In Sweden we have a saying (irony): The gadgets is what makes the photographer!

Now before I post any more I wanna now what camera you have. Brand and model.

Tom

thanks for the replies, tom i have only a basic digital...finepix s5600

You might try a polarizer filter. You turn one ring of the filter to eliminate the glare. It also has the effect of making the color more saturated. If you are using a digital camera, you will need a circular polarizer filter, slightly more expensive than a regular polarizer filter.

John

Try taking a photo outside on a dull day. I took a pic of my collars and leads by placing them outside but not right out in the open, I put them on the porch and took the pic. No shadows, true colour, this was using a film SLR and the pic came out so well I used it on business cards. It looks like a professional took it.

try that. good luck

Put the camera on a tripod, and shoot outside in open shade, no flash.