Sign in to follow this  
Gremlin

What is "redhide"?

Hi everyone. Handle is Gremlin and I live in Winnipeg, Canada.

I have a queston that I have tried to get a straight answer to but cannot seem to find it. If there are some of the down-under folks here, maybe they can answer it.

The Aussie leather folks use something they call "redhide". Is this the same (or similar) as what we in North America call latigo?

Gremlin,

I seem to remember heraing about this red hide from Jim Downey who sells the kangaroo lase at the trade showa. I believe that it is also a kangaroo hide. I am not positive on this though.

Clay M.

According to this website:

http://www.aussiewhipmaker.com/Red_Hide.htm

Red Hide is:

Red Hide is the name given to a type of cowhide that has gone through a specific tanning process. As the name suggests the final product is deep red colored leather. The quality of any cowhide depends on the original hide. Scars can create weaknesses in the leather. Young cattle have more stretch in the hide, which is not desirable for whips. All leather will stretch but if the strands at the end of a whip stretch too much then they are more susceptible to break.

Australia’s whips are truly the best in the world. This is not necessarily due to the fact that we have some of the best whip makers in the world, but also because we have some of the best leather for whips in the world.

So it seems to be a cow leather, but I don't know how it compares.

- Noel

Clay and Noel, thanks for responding.

Noel, you hit the same info that I did. I'm going to try to dig up some info on the tanning process for both and see how they compare.

nothing to add on redhide.

just wanted to welcome you to the forum gremlin. glad o see ya here!

Hi Gremlin, welcome.

Never heard of redhide, but there's a LOOOOOOOTTTT that I haven't heard about. But I bet someone here can help. These are great folks.

I'm just getting started in braiding. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

grem does some impressive basket weave lacing

Hey Gremlin,

How have you been? I just found this place myself and it's a great place.

Welcome

P.S. Thanks for the Link again, I get quite a few hits from your website.

Hey Beeza and Beaverslayer, small world this internet isn't it?

OK, as for my question, some research has lead me to the book by David W. Morgan titled "Braiding Fine Leather". In the book on page 17, Mr. Morgan states "For course braided work, Latigo (or redhide as it is known in Australia) is generally satisfactory ......"

Seems I had the answer right under my nose all along. Thanks for the responses.

Edited by Gremlin

"Braiding Fine Leather". In the book on page 17, Mr. Morgan states "For course braided work, Latigo (or redhide as it is known in Australia) is generally satisfactory ......"

Seems I had the answer right under my nose all along. Thanks for the responses.

Actually, I think Mr Morgan may not be entirely correct (but I'm willing to stand corrected). I had always understood that the two products were arrived at through different processes. That said, I've seen leather that's chrome, chrome-veg re-tan, veg and alum 'tanned', all being sold as latigo.

IIRC, red hide is alum 'tanned' cowhide, as is 'white hide', which you may have come across as well. The red(ish) colour may penetrate all the way through, or it may not. Seems to depend on the suppllier. Oils are added, too, whereas white hide seems often to be very dry. I qualify the above by saying that I've come across comments from some aussie whip makers, to the effect that modern redhide isn't as good as the old stuff....possibly because of changes in the production process?

Red hide is quite supple and tends to bleed like mad whilst working it - expect your hands to look very sore if you plait with the stuff! The quality varies tremendously. I have used other tannages with at least as good results as I have had with red hide.

As an aside, my understanding of 'alum tanning' is that it's not tanning in the true sense, at all. In England, I believe that the process used to be called 'tawing': http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt3458.html

Dave

English Whips

Redhide is used for things that cop a beating. I've made some bridle reins from it & they are my knock about reins. When I first used a new set on my old grey boy it rained & the dye came out all over his neck. He was a very pretty pink for a while. They wear really well & never need oiling.

It's also used for stockwhips, but not the fancy ones, it's used for the working whips, the ones that could get covered in mud & cow dung.

Yes it is alum tanned cowhide.

Linda

Edited by Kanga