Sign in to follow this  
Roger

not too fancy seat, stitched

not too fancy. i talked him into letting me stich it for a change of pace.

this is my second attempt at saddle stitching.

it sat in the sun today to darken it up a bit B)

DSC02530.jpg

Simplicity can be beautiful, as you have so aptly demonstrated. So many artistic possibilities with bike seats. I must try one sometime.

Is that a maker's mark on the front of the seat? I've noticed a similar mark on your other work.

Thanks for sharing...

Kate

Simplicity can be beautiful, as you have so aptly demonstrated. So many artistic possibilities with bike seats. I must try one sometime.

Is that a maker's mark on the front of the seat? I've noticed a similar mark on your other work.

Thanks for sharing...

Kate

thanks kate!

i find the simpler the seat, the more it takes to make it look good.

design possiblities are endless

yes, i use that mark as my maker's mark

not too fancy.

My first thought was like Kate's: "Simplicity is elegance." It's leather, and it looks and feels like leather. It's clean and I like the stitching, too. I think it is beautiful.

I used to play music with a guitar player who said the secret was to know what not to play, and I've thought of that when looking at carving. This book was done a Federation Master and it won at the Indy show. Technically, it is perfect, but the combination of styles startled me.

Beeze, I think one of the reasons for your success with seats is that you aren't afraid to do different things for all sorts of looks. Your designs all seem custom. Do you like to see the bike before you make the seat, or do you work blind? I just wondered, because the seats are a work of art in themselves. Does the owner usually tell you what he wants, or does he follow your lead and trust you to get it right? Do you get to see your seats on bikes? I would imagine many of your seats appear in shows. The people who are buying them probably have very nice custom rides. Just curious about how your business works, hope I'm not getting too personal.

Johanna

really nice i can now appreciate what work goes in to building one of these seats as i now know from experience as ive finished my first seat great job beza

My first thought was like Kate's: "Simplicity is elegance." It's leather, and it looks and feels like leather. It's clean and I like the stitching, too. I think it is beautiful.

I used to play music with a guitar player who said the secret was to know what not to play, and I've thought of that when looking at carving. This book was done a Federation Master and it won at the Indy show. Technically, it is perfect, but the combination of styles startled me.

Beeze, I think one of the reasons for your success with seats is that you aren't afraid to do different things for all sorts of looks. Your designs all seem custom. Do you like to see the bike before you make the seat, or do you work blind? I just wondered, because the seats are a work of art in themselves. Does the owner usually tell you what he wants, or does he follow your lead and trust you to get it right? Do you get to see your seats on bikes? I would imagine many of your seats appear in shows. The people who are buying them probably have very nice custom rides. Just curious about how your business works, hope I'm not getting too personal.

Johanna

thanks johanna!

many things determine what ends up on a seat.

i always ask for input as to what they would like.

some have artwork or a design

if they want something like flames or the torn open seat i did with the skulls i work from pics of the bike so that i can try to match what is already there.

i try to guide the customer on what i think will look good and what sort of colors.

the biggest thing i try to do is discorage a black seat. evreyone is used to a seat being black but, it blends into the bike instead of standing out and you know what black does for tooling. i have one i'm working on now that i need to try to steer the guy away from black.

basically i have them give me a direction and i come up with something.

i rairly get to see the bike in person. i do get pics now and then. i attend one show a year and will get to see some of my work in person.

the artwork on this seat was provided by the customer. i'll have to see if i can dig up a couple pics of seats on bikes

really nice i can now appreciate what work goes in to building one of these seats as i now know from experience as ive finished my first seat great job beza

thanks don!

they can be quite a challenge even after doing as many as i have but they can sure be fun and rewarding!

here are a few bikes with my seats. i should save more but, have been a bit lax with keeping up with it.

60.jpg

1143071883.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

Dscf0002.jpg

Dscf0003.jpg

IMG_9289.jpg

janiceso.jpg

post-192-1178465515_thumb.jpg

post-192-1178465528_thumb.jpg

post-192-1178465539_thumb.jpg

post-192-1178465553_thumb.jpg

post-192-1178465566_thumb.jpg

post-192-1178465579_thumb.jpg

post-192-1178465590_thumb.jpg

post-192-1178465601_thumb.jpg

I try to get pics of most of the bikes that my seats go on....this one arrived today. It is the last seat that I sold on Ebay. This is a very different bike to say the least. An Amen frame with a Honda engine..... each to his own eh?

Dave Theobald

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

100_0878.JPG

100_0884.JPG

100_0886.JPG

post-327-1178490434_thumb.jpg

post-327-1178490453_thumb.jpg

post-327-1178490474_thumb.jpg

post-327-1178490501_thumb.jpg

post-327-1178490516_thumb.jpg

just got a pic of this bike. i posted the seat a few weeks back