Sign in to follow this  
Lace

All the possible tools.. but no teacher :(

I have been working at a leather repair/tack shop now for almost 2 years and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I do some repairs and I have made some things like english browbands, oxen forehead protectors, braclets, done squillions of repairs on bridles, halters, leather jackets, bags and etc etc etc. But I find myself left with a sense of unsatisfaction. I'm looking at a leather braclet I made last year that I am wearing and see that I have come a far way in my design and techniques when compared to the new braclet I have on my other wrist. But even it is only.. basic. I don't feel like I'm learning enough and my boss who can do so so sooo much just doesn't have the time to teach me anything. When we come across a new job or a harder one I need more guidance with, I'm told to go wait on customers and he'll do it later. I feel KIND of useless and I feel that my work is rugged, unrefined and reflects the self-taught unfinnsihed edges and crooked rivets that I have been taught. I know some of the methods I have been taught are not correct and at my shop don't need to do anything more than make straps. I can do straps. Fine. BUT I WANT MORE NOW!!!

I've gone to a few books and I constantly hound this website looking for things I can do, but I see the guitar straps and full english bridles and I despratly want to do this.

I need help. I need someone to show me what I'm doing. I know a little bit about leather but not all there is.

I want to make a bridle. An enlish bridle and I figure since I know straps and I'm an english rider myself, I certianly know how to put it together... I just need some guidance in making it look.. refined. good straight edges. Nice straight stitching and clean lines throughout the whole thing. I can hand stitch and I can thin the edges, put on buckles and make the measurements.. I just CAN NOT figure out what kind of tools I need to make this happen.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm missing some vital basics :head_hurts_kr:

If you can make it to Wickenburg in March, I'm teaching a Basics class there. We won't be making anything like bridles in the class, but the stuff we do has a lot of what you are asking for. I can give you specific pointers on bridles during the class. The class runs 3 days, March 9, 10 and 11. We could also get together that Friday and talk. It's a whole lot easier to show you in person than over the computer!

Kathy

Lace. Here are some pics of the common tools I would use to make an English bridle. Some you could get by without and some can be home made.

Back row

edge stain

Plough guage. Draw guages appear to be more common in Nth America

Blued cut tacks

Next row

Saddlers tack hammer

Bone burnisher

No. 1 edge tool

wooden burnisher. Can use the handle of a tool like the edger

Square

homemade loop clam. This is used to make slide loops and is inserted into your clams/stitching horse

Round knife

pricking wheel (or use a stitch marker/overstitch wheel)

Compass/dividers

Screw creaser. It is eay to make a creaser by cutting grooves into the handle of a straight knife

Leather strop board

I forgot to add a pic of a crew/slot punch

Next row

The blue cloth is my canvas rub rag. On the rag is from L to R

Single creaser/tickler

Awl

overstich wheel

Straight knife

5/8" inlet buckle, 1/2" inlet buckle, Pelham hook

Acouple of punches

Lead block for protecting punches as you punch hole (or use whatever else you use to protect punches)

The second pic is my clams ( or use a stitching horse/pony)

When making a bridle, the reins must be cut from the initial few inches of the side/back

When you cut out a strap, one end will always be better/firmer than the other. point this end

The general sequence of preparing strapping is to

1. cut and shape. Point the ends etc

2. take the edge off

3. Stain and polish the straps

4. Crease

However I edge, stain and polish and then mark out my holes and punch and Then crease. I have found over the years I get better results this way as punching holes after creasing distorts the nice crease job you have done.

When you cut out the buckle slots, scoop out a little dish of leather at the ends of the slots. This is done to avoid a lump where the buckle tonque is.

When I stitch bridle work I back stitch. This is just the way I was taught and not commonly seen these days.

A few general rules of thumb

Cheek length is going to depend on the bit you use. Generally speaking then the bridle is put together, the bit should form about three creases in the horses lip and then the buckles should be in line with the horses eye.

Nose bands sit 2-3 finger widths below the cheek bone.

I might get off my backside and make a bridle and take a few pics with explanations.

Here is a nice little youtube clip to wet your appetite

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fTDhLlu13V0

bridle_making_tools.JPG

clams.JPG

post-1669-1232905761_thumb.jpg

post-1669-1232908330_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

I also forgot to add loop sticks/irons to the list. In the youtube you see loop sticks in use. I had a full set many years ago but they are now long gone. I have now just cut strips of old but firm and stout leather, the width of common strapping. These I use to block loops as well as to set my plough guage as I don't trust the incriments on it.

Barra

It's a natty little strap cutter he's got, too. I wouldn't mind one of them!

Tony.

Edited by tonyc1

Welcome and salutations. This forum is a treasure trove of information and provides excellent access to some of the best leather artisans in the world. It will take some time but read everything, ask lots of questions and practice, practice, and practice some more. You will shortly see vast improvements in your skills. Posting photos of your work will get lots of helpful comments which in turn will make you even better.

Thanks guys :D

Unfortunatly I'm a very poor student haha so I cant afford to travel much of anywhere.

It's so much easier to learn in person I know and I have lots of access to these tools and I can even get special pricing from tandy through my work :)

Thanks Barra I think you will be hearing from me for sure! I need to get my hands on some of these tools. I have the blocking irons, knives, stitching horse and all that. I use two needles when I hand stitch and I'm not really sure what the stitch is called. I'm just kind of picking it up by wathcing my boss do it and some basic instruction. I need to get up some pictures of the things i'm doing.

Im not on a computer where I can wathc the video but I'll watch it when i get home for sure!

Lace, I feel your pain, when I started this some 30 plus years ago all I had were books by Al Stolhman to learn from. But it really takes seeing someone elses work to really get you inspired to do more. I do not know what part of the county you live in but going to one of the shows and taking some classes is really a big investment in your future as far as leatherwork goes. Wickenburg,Az and Sheridan, Wy are a couple of the big ones that will offer the most. But there is the International Federation of Leathercraft Guilds, IFoLG for short. They have a show and contest every year in a different location, this year it is in Indanapolis Ind. this year and I think it is the last weekend in Sept. But I dont have the dates close at hand. Those would be the best places to learn. Then I would recomend your local Tandy Store for help. Most of the store managers are leatherworkers themselves and have begining classes that you can take. I would also recomend taking a class from on of the masters who travel some to different locations. Or you can go to them. Here is a few just off the top of my head, Chan Geer, Bill Gomer, , Pete Gorell, Bob Beard, Jessy Smith, Jeff Mosby, Jim Linell (Tandy) and Tony Lair (Tandy) If you live around the Kansas City area I would be glad to teach you what I know. I know there are more than enough people here that would be glad to teach if you just let us know what part of the county you live in.

Randy

Randy

I live in Canada actually, so I'm not even from the US. I live in Nova Scotia to be more specific in a little town called Truro. The closest tandy store is about a hour away from me and without a car it's difficult to get there. I'm a college student so with a horse to feed and school to pay for, traveling around the world is the last thing on my priority list, hehe. So learning through the web and books will have to do for now. It would be amazing if someone came to halifax to teach leather, I'd definatly take the trouble to go there to learn all that I could.

I don't really have a set future in what I want to do for schooling but I've been looking for a teacher. If I can find the right situation such as an apprenticeship program or something like that, I'd travel to do it and I know the people with money who love me would help :) Hehe Because they have enough belts and braclets to last them a lifetime and want more from me, and If I could find a school that taught leatherwork I'd be there already!!! We have a fine arts and master craft school called the Nova Scotia College of Arts and Design (NSCAD). They teach metalsmithing, jewelrafting, textiles, pottery, beadwork and everything imaginable... except leatherwork. (I have a small goal to go there and teach leatherworking someday as I have a good friend who's father teaches there :))

I'd love to learn all I can and I guess just trying to make some things I see on here is a start. :)

Ideally.. I'd like to become a saddler someday. Making and fitting. People are so cruel to buy a saddle because it's cheap and think it fits their horse. No one knows what a real fit is and honestly, neither do I. I had a very well known coach come to make sure my saddle fit properly. (I'm talking english here but the western world is the same)

Anyway. I ramble alot. Haha

If you wanna make guitar straps may I suggest ordering the leather crafters and saddlers journal jan/feb 2006. Its got a nice article from the guy that has greyghost graphics in there. That with stopping by a local music shop and taking a quick gander at there straps with some rough measurements and your all set.

I know when I wanted to do a rifle sling I scoured the internet and looked at pics and all kinds of stuff, wrote down the common sizes, and asked around here for help. Dave at DCknives gave me alot of pointers and got me going in the right direction. Only took about 3 or 4 fubared ones to get it going.

I dont know much about tack but as far as everything else try and get some books and such when you can. Al Stohlman's set of three books on case making is a phenominal resource of usefull info. As are his other series. I know money is tight but tandy has sales alot on these and if you look on amazon alot of times you can find them for half price or similer.

Ive just started ordering the leather crafters journal back issues and I really like them. Find a coupel of back orders and see which ones have articles you like and get one or two to try them out.

You know there is a lot you can do by just reading books and watching video's. Subscribe to the Leathercraft and Saddlers Journal. They have articles in every issue that are geared to beginers as well as those with experiance. Subscribe to Shop Talk Magazine. They too have a wealth of knowledge that you will benifit from. Tandy has several videos by Tony Lair and Jim Linell that will be of use. Also Hidecrafter in Ft. Worth tx has several videos by George Hurst. I love George to death but his videos will put you to sleep so watch them after a good nights sleep ( If George sees this I am sorry!)but they also are a wealth of knowledge. He has several that will help you getting started. I never had videos when I was learning and I have since bought some of them for reference and to show to my students that I teach. They are well worth the money. I will PM you with some other thoughts.

Randy

Randy

I live in Canada actually, so I'm not even from the US. I live in Nova Scotia to be more specific in a little town called Truro. The closest tandy store is about a hour away from me and without a car it's difficult to get there. I'm a college student so with a horse to feed and school to pay for, traveling around the world is the last thing on my priority list, hehe. So learning through the web and books will have to do for now. It would be amazing if someone came to halifax to teach leather, I'd definatly take the trouble to go there to learn all that I could.

I don't really have a set future in what I want to do for schooling but I've been looking for a teacher. If I can find the right situation such as an apprenticeship program or something like that, I'd travel to do it and I know the people with money who love me would help :) Hehe Because they have enough belts and braclets to last them a lifetime and want more from me, and If I could find a school that taught leatherwork I'd be there already!!! We have a fine arts and master craft school called the Nova Scotia College of Arts and Design (NSCAD). They teach metalsmithing, jewelrafting, textiles, pottery, beadwork and everything imaginable... except leatherwork. (I have a small goal to go there and teach leatherworking someday as I have a good friend who's father teaches there :))

I'd love to learn all I can and I guess just trying to make some things I see on here is a start. :)

Ideally.. I'd like to become a saddler someday. Making and fitting. People are so cruel to buy a saddle because it's cheap and think it fits their horse. No one knows what a real fit is and honestly, neither do I. I had a very well known coach come to make sure my saddle fit properly. (I'm talking english here but the western world is the same)

Anyway. I ramble alot. Haha