skipj

Sewing Machine Classes for Nubies

I have been thinking about the possibility of one on the Sewing Machine companies giving classes in "leather sewing machines for dummies" (although that title may be copyrighted). Artisan's video was a big step in that direction, but I still have a lot of questions on the operation of my Artisan. I was thinking about offering at Wickenburg or Sheridan. Not necessary for free. I've had so many problems with operating my machine which I think are of my own doing that I'd pay for the class. I don't even know what questions to ask. It took me almost a year to discover that I can't sew with the same size thread on thinner leather as I can with heavier material. I'm still having issues with it but don't know if it's something with the machine or the way I'm using it. SOrry about the ramble.

SkipJ

I would pay for a class like that for sure. I have know idea how to use a sewing machine but want to learn and I can't find anyone in LA to teach me.

Skip,

After I bought my first powered machine and it was not what I needed, I told LCSJ it would be nice to have a generic article on sewing machines regarding different feeding systems, flat-bed vs. cylinder arm, capacity, motors, etc. I had a supplier who volunteered to write the article or series of articles. It was ignored. At one of the Sheridan show we went to, I told the Reises that it would be nice to have a class in introduction to sewing machines. "Yeah, that's a good idea" and smiled at. I think that was the year the Artisan 3000 was introduced. When I mentioned it again at another show, I pushed the issue a little further. The explanation was the same as why some topics are omitted or seriously edited by the LCSJ. They don't want to tick off an advertiser. They are afraid that it could turn into an infomercial for or against a particular line of machines I guess.

There are now several introductory priced machines that weren't available when I first got one. You only have to look at this forum to see the questions people have. Something that a little hands-on or show and tell could help.

I realize that not every one has this "luxury", but....

Don't limit yourself to checking out only one type of machine. Just because everyone raves about brand X does not mean there are not other good quality, easy to use, affordable machines out there.

Maybe there's someone within driving distance to you (within a half day's drive) that sells and services heavy duty machines? It sure helps when you can get hands on experience on more than one brand of machine, and that the person selling them is right there to answer questions and demonstrate how to set up the machine. When I bought my machine, I did exactly that, and have never been dissatisfied. Even now, several years later, I can still feel free to call or stop in with any questions I may have.

It's also very handy to buy locally in case your machine ever needs service. Often you can remove the machine head from your setup, and take it to get serviced, and save a bunch of cash on a service call. Also, most places that sell industrial machines also stock different threads that you may need, and different attachments for your machine. It's always nice to be able to try before you buy an attachment, so you know how to put it on the machine, and how best to use it.

Just sort of thinking out loud...

Hilly

Hilly, one problem is finding a local company that sells leather sewing macines. I found out about one in Detroit from a friend who works with auto upholstry. I don't think they are in the phone book or internet. Just have to ask around I guess.

SkipJ

Hello all:

As a manufacturer, dealer, and mechanic of sewing machines, I'd like to see somebody offer an introductory class on sewing machines as well. Others are correct in this forum when they say that there is a tendancy from the magazine publishers and other places to attempt to limit the contributions of manufacturers and dealers in the education of proper sewing machine operation and adjustment.

I am not sure what the solution is to this problem. It seems like no matter which way you go, you run the risk of offending somebody.

Ryan O. Neel

Ah well heck, if you want a class on sewing, just come on down here for a week or so and pay me $600 and I'll teach you exactly how NOT to do it. I got a lot of experience at it.

Hi Hilly,

You're in SE Michigan and not a terrible far drive to Neels in North Lima, Ohio (not Lima, that would really be close), Weavers in Mt. Hope, or SMS outside Toledo. Might be a day trip but then again worth it. Artisan and LMC will be at the IFoLG show this fall as far as I know. I imagine with the troubles of the auto industry, there might be some real opportunities for used machines in your area.

Nevertheless, many (or some) machine dealers/distributors come to the major shows, so there is a good place to corner them and get your questions answered.

I'll be in Wickenburg helping Steve from LMC (I've always helped Steve at shows I attend no matter who he was working for). I would be happy to give an impromptu sewing class and answer any and all questions anyone may have. I have more sewing experience and user experience and Steve has more mechanical experience.

The thing about classes kind of puzzles me, I have been to industry expos and embroidery and graphics expos where they have 3 and 4 day classes, 4 hours a day on machine setup and maintenance and other classes on operation. These are held by manufacturers and distributors of a particular machine brand and people pay dearly to attend, even folks with different machines than the ones being used in the class. A threaded needle machine is a threaded needle machine, and they all work pretty much the same. The feeding systems and sewing beds pretty well distinguish the machines as far as comparisons go. So teaching a class on machine operation and adjustment is a pretty generic thing, a real Sewing Machines for Dummies type of class that should turn out (when they go home and practice a little) competent machine operators. I guess I can't understand why this is a hard concept for the leather expo folks to digest. I have some ideas about this, everyone just stick with me here, we're all in this together (where'd I put my duct tape).

Art

Hilly, one problem is finding a local company that sells leather sewing macines. I found out about one in Detroit from a friend who works with auto upholstry. I don't think they are in the phone book or internet. Just have to ask around I guess.

SkipJ

I'll be in Wickenburg helping Steve from LMC (I've always helped Steve at shows I attend no matter who he was working for). I would be happy to give an impromptu sewing class and answer any and all questions anyone may have.

Thanks Art, I'll take you up on your offer. I wanted check out Cobra Stitch anyways. Keep an eye out for me, I'll get there on Thursday.