Sign in to follow this  
badjustice

Black Widow wallet (WIP)

Black border, all the background and webs dyed black THEN diluted white acrylic on the web to achieve a greyish/white tone by applying layer by layer of the white acrylic.

For the spider I'd look up a similar type in a book about those and give it a typical paintscheme. acrylics and/or spirit dyes.

Just what I felt like doing if it was in front of me now.

Looking forward to see where you take it!

Tom

man that is a great design! is that an original idea? i love the tooling

i like the money symbol on the spider's back too...great for a wallet.

i would try to make that stand out...either traditional black widow orange...or a bright green for money. i like Tom's ideas for the background and web...but i would try to make the spider a very slick shiny black so it stands out against the background. good luck

i think it's a great wallet idea.

ken

man that is a great design! is that an original idea? i love the tooling

i like the money symbol on the spider's back too...great for a wallet.

i would try to make that stand out...either traditional black widow orange...or a bright green for money. i like Tom's ideas for the background and web...but i would try to make the spider a very slick shiny black so it stands out against the background. good luck

i think it's a great wallet idea.

ken

Thank's Ken and Tom. Yes, it is my design. I'm glad you like it! I like the white idea for the web but would the acrylic paint be tough enough for a wallet? I've painted some projects before and they looked great but never something that was going in my pocket and getting used as much as a wallet. Do you guy's have any tips to make this work? I can paint it no problem. Should I hot set it with a heat gun?

Matt

Edited by badjustice

I would not recommend heat on leather but I never applied heat anyways, all I know really is that if you dry it in heat it will curl up against the top grain.

Two reasons to dilute the white acrylic (with water) 1) it will soak into the leather wich will preserve the leather look (it will not lay on top of leather completely). 2) it will soak into leather wich makes it sit better (more bonding into the fibers).

I can't say that it wont rub off with time and from usage in pockets but I don't have a better option for white either but I definetly recommend an acrylic sealer on top of the white. When I have used this method I have applied extra layer of sealer with a brush on top of the white.

Hope this helps a bit. White for me is the type where I just give in to the idea that there is no super solution like for example vinegaroon/rust mix to dye leather black wich seem to be a bombproof solution.

Tom

I would not recommend heat on leather but I never applied heat anyways, all I know really is that if you dry it in heat it will curl up against the top grain.

Two reasons to dilute the white acrylic (with water) 1) it will soak into the leather wich will preserve the leather look (it will not lay on top of leather completely). 2) it will soak into leather wich makes it sit better (more bonding into the fibers).

I can't say that it wont rub off with time and from usage in pockets but I don't have a better option for white either but I definetly recommend an acrylic sealer on top of the white. When I have used this method I have applied extra layer of sealer with a brush on top of the white.

Hope this helps a bit. White for me is the type where I just give in to the idea that there is no super solution like for example vinegaroon/rust mix to dye leather black wich seem to be a bombproof solution.

Tom

OK, I'm going for it. Matt

Matt have you thought about cutting the Web with a swivel knife and then use

White Acrilic dulited, then put in the cut lines? This would wear longer I M H O

Matt have you thought about cutting the Web with a swivel knife and then use

White Acrilic dulited, then put in the cut lines? This would wear longer I M H O

No, I think I just don't like paint on leather. I like the look of oil dyes. Paint in my opinion takes away from the tooling. At least not on something small like this. Larger projects I think look good painted especially with large untooled (I think I'm making a word here) areas. Like this mask. But I'll try just about anything, I'm not afraid to screw it up. I'll just make another one and give this one to my son who likes it.

1210040498_4a3c0592e3_o.jpg

I like it without any colour. Maybe just some antiquing. Great design. :thumbsup: