rcsaddles

copper rivets turning green

I know that copper rivets will turn green under certain circumstances but can anyone tell me what those circumstances are and how to clean them and the leather?

A friend has a knife sheath with small copper rivets and they all have some green around them. He was asking how to clean it and what to do to avoid it in the future.

Thanks,

Joe

You can clean off the copper rivets with any copper cleaner (do NOT get it on the leather unless you test in an inconspicous place first!)

We always put a drop or two of Neat lac on them to prevent them from tarnishing. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Johanna

You used to be able to buy ink erasers (for ballpoint pen ink) that were in pen form. If you can find ballpoint ink erasers that are small enough you may be able to remove the corrosion without damaging the leather itself. As Johanna said, use neatlac to protect after cleaning (or maybe clear fingernail polish).

russ

maybe drill them out and put new ones in, then you can neatlac them...there can't be that many in a knife sheath.

Since NeatLac is becoming increasingly scarce, maybe some nail polish will do the trick.

Kate

I know that copper rivets will turn green under certain circumstances but can anyone tell me what those circumstances are and how to clean them and the leather?

A friend has a knife sheath with small copper rivets and they all have some green around them. He was asking how to clean it and what to do to avoid it in the future.

Thanks,

Joe

rc

use white vinegar n a med stiff tooth brush it will clean the copper n wont damage the leather

rinse with clean water a few times n when nearly dry put on saddle soap or neats foot oil, n store the sheath in a vented place so it dont collect moisture again, moisture n no air movement will cause the copper to turnish