hallbuilt

hand or foot press and dies for setting spots

looking for a used one or recomendations for a new one. thanks in advance,

Mike

What size spots are you wanting to set? I have a recipe to build a nice foot press for under 200 bucks.

I'm interested in that recipe too! :thumbsup:

What size spots are you wanting to set? I have a recipe to build a nice foot press for under 200 bucks.

1/4 up to 1/2. I would be very interested in the DIY press.

By the way, Standard Rivet is advertising their #2 machine with bench,dies and spots for 595.00. Thanks!

Ok. I will right them up and post them later today when I have more time to do so. It takes a little fabrication and welding. You can get buy without doing so, but it will cost a little more. Fun little project! lol

I misplaced my book for the part numbers. Will be continued. Sorry for the wait.

looking for a used one or recomendations for a new one. thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi, I've never posted here so hope I'm doing it right. I have the Standard Rivet Machine And I think it's great! It seems like the larger spots take a little more force and you have to get a feel for it. The bench grinder table that you can get to set it up on is not tottaly ideal but I havent thought of a better way to mount it. They are really nice there and they make dies for all the spots they have. Weaver has one that looks pretty good but they dont offer alot of dies or spots. I think the Standard Rivet one is the best you can get with the most choices of spots and dies.

Sorry for the wait. I just got my new catalog. Here it is:

Order a catalog and parts from Beiler’s Manufacturing and Supply. 717-768-0174

50020 Rivet head casting new style with hinge ears $100.00

50041 New arm $22.80

50045 L hinge $11.80

50170 7-5/8” long drive rod with thumb screw $13.40

50180 size 60 chain master link $0.50

50360 spring $1.65

50040 jack screw $10.40

2” metal pipe 40” long with a ½” hole drilled hole centered and 32-1/2” from top end. This is where the foot pedal bolts.

top plate that welds to top of the 2” pipe and mounts the head casting. 6-1/2” x 4” x ¼”

Base is 12” x 16” x 2” . 2” pipe is welded to this base centered and edge of pipe is 1” from the back. I drilled a hole in my base and put the 2 “ pipe through it to the floor and then welded it.

(2) Adjustable link plates 1-1/2” x 7-1/4” x ¼”. Drill (4) 3/8” holes centered on width and measured from one end at 5/8”, 5-1/8”, 5-7/8”, and 6-3/4”.

50460 Foot pedal $18.50 or make your own. (2) 1-1/2” x 22” x ¼ bar stock with one 3/8” drilled hole centered and ½” from the end and one ½” hole centered and drilled 8-1/2” from the same end. One 3” x 5” x ¼” plate to be welded to the two pieces of bar stock opposite end of 3/8” drilled holes leaving a 2” overhang. Refer to picture in catalog.

50048 drive pipe new style ½” x 29” long $22.80

Total comes to $201.85. Not too bad for a $400.00 foot-riveter.

You can get buy cheaper if you have a metal lathe. Also an old drill press base works great as the base for the riveter. This machine also has a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage over a riveter that does not use an l hinge.

Hi all

I have what I think is a used Hiker kick press. Photo below

kick_press_sm.jpg

I'm looking for dies that will fit this machine to set some "parachute" nailheads (source). Photo and specs below:

parachute_nailhead.jpg

does anyone have any ideas? The company above sells some dies but I think it's for a little hand operated thingie.

Also, I am confused about how to set the dies. I have some dies now, supposedly to set magnetic bag closures and either they are designed for another machine or I'm missing some kind of piece of hardware. Iow, the dies for the magnetic closure look like the dies this company sells for the hand setting machine. It is beyond me to imagine how these dies would fit into the machine I have.

I have operated a kick press before but I never had to insert dies so I never noticed how it was done or paid much attention which doesn't help me now that I need to know. Does that round thing on the bottom part back all the way out and you put in your own die or does that round thing hold the die itself. I don't understand. I appreciate your help.

Also, I'm trying to mark this thread to be notified in case of response but I keep getting an error message. I will remember to check back. Thanks for your time.

OK, so I've seen the Heritage model setter in Weaver==$400

I've heard of the standard setter == $650

One that you make yourself (not happening) $201 plus my head exploding.

Is there another make of quality that people know of? A source for used? Is there one model that is just so vastly better than the others that I would not even notice that all that money was gone?

Thank you for the opinions.

K

OK, so I've seen the Heritage model setter in Weaver==$400

I've heard of the standard setter == $650

One that you make yourself (not happening) $201 plus my head exploding.

Is there another make of quality that people know of? A source for used? Is there one model that is just so vastly better than the others that I would not even notice that all that money was gone?

Thank you for the opinions.

K

K,

Yes you can buy a complete machine from Beilers Manufacturing and supply. It is $385.00 without any dies or anvils. Give them a call @ 717.768.0174 and have them send you a wholesale supply catalog.

Ryan

K,

Yes you can buy a complete machine from Beilers Manufacturing and supply. It is $385.00 without any dies or anvils. Give them a call @ 717.768.0174 and have them send you a wholesale supply catalog.

Ryan

Ryan,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the info. Is the Standard Co. of a superior quality either? I have called for the catalog and I'll see what they have.

The standard rivet company machines are great. The number 2 machine of theirs is very versatile and are very good for setting spots and staples. Better to buy used because they are around 600 bucks new. Just stay away from the alu castings made about 20 years ago. They did not hold up very well to wear. I have 3 number 2 machines I use daily. It is best to find old used anvils and dies for these machines. The new one are not that great. Their auto spotters are second to none. They are refurbished units about a hundred or so years old. They are also very good to do business with. Good luck!

Ryano,

Thank you for the info. Very useful.

Kevin

1/4 up to 1/2. I would be very interested in the DIY press.

By the way, Standard Rivet is advertising their #2 machine with bench,dies and spots for 595.00. Thanks!

Hi...for what it's worth, I just gave one of those #2's away. Free! no charge! i was worried that the guy was going to want me to pay him to take it, but he didn't. I think I could set spots faster with my toes and an exacto knife...... :)

Kevin

Hi...for what it's worth, I just gave one of those #2's away. Free! no charge! i was worried that the guy was going to want me to pay him to take it, but he didn't. I think I could set spots faster with my toes and an exacto knife...... :)

Kevin

Did you have the cast iron no. 2 machine? Once you know how to set them up correctly, they are great little machines. I use mine mainly for driving staples.

Did you have the cast iron no. 2 machine? Once you know how to set them up correctly, they are great little machines. I use mine mainly for driving staples.

Hi,

Anyone wants to sell Standard Rivet #2?

Can #2 be used on any rivet,eyelet,staple,stud,snap fastener,grommet if used proper dies?

Thanks!

Chris

what about this:

http://www.abprecisionco.com/Press%20Machines.htm

It's made in New Jersey,

No pictures if Beiler's machine on the internet that I can find