megabit

Another hatband

I am fairly happy with everything but the pineapples. They are better than I could have done a month ago, but they don't seem like they are up to the standards of most around here. They seem good enough I likely won't cut them off but I do know they could be better. This braiding is almost like riding horses, no matter how much you improve there is still a long ways left to go. :)

What do you guys think?

3484398343_5e076f539f_b.jpg

megabit

I can see improvment the hatband looks good. From what I can see of the pineapples they look more symetrical (sp?) than they have in the past. Keep up the good work!!

Mike

Very nice. If you don't keep trying you never improve. I have been wanting to get a rawhide hatband done I just have other projects on the front burner.

How long was the tace you started with for the band? Which buttons did you use other than the pineapple?

Keep up the good work.

Joe

The band is a 4 plait of about 60". The other buttons are Spanish ring knots. I used standard terminal knots wrapped in florist tape for the ground work of the pineapples. A rather simple project really.

One thing that is certainly helping my braiding is my new string cutter/beveler/splitter from WhiteBuf (cutter thread).

Edited by megabit

Looks good Megabit. I think you are too critical of your pineapples. This is nitpicking but you might want to put a little more bevel on the strings that make up the band. I think it would lay in better.

CW

Looks really good.

How absolutely inspiring! Your hatband looks fantastic!

Hi megabit,

I agree with CWR about the strings needing to be beveled. Otherwise, the project looks really good my friend.

Brian...

I am fairly happy with everything but the pineapples. They are better than I could have done a month ago, but they don't seem like they are up to the standards of most around here. They seem good enough I likely won't cut them off but I do know they could be better. This braiding is almost like riding horses, no matter how much you improve there is still a long ways left to go. :)

What do you guys think?

3484398343_5e076f539f_b.jpg

You're getting better. No doubt about that. The pineapples just need a more symmetrical foundation. They'll get better with practice.

I was looking at what CWR said about the beveling. Might be my eyes, but I don't see any hair side bevels. Rawhide should be beveled the opposite of leather; on the hair side.

Hedge

If I beveled the main body string, it would have been on the hair side. Truth be told I can't recall if I beveled it or not. If I did I may have just barely nicked the corner off. I am still getting used to the new tool and being able to bevel at all.

Yes, the ground work makes a big difference on how the buttons turn out. I think the main problem with these is the quality of my terminal knots underneath.

Thanks for all the help guys, without it my stuff would still look like it was done by a kindergarten kid.