TwinOaks

IE8 issue?

Howdy,

I just installed IE8 b/c IE7 was starting to lag quite a bit and had trouble opening my home page- it just froze. When I installed IE8, I lost the scrolling function for my touch pad. The fix was as simple as downloading and reinstalling the driver. Is this an issue with IE8 or is it likely to be something else? I did check to see if it was just IE, but the scroll function disappeared from FF too. When I reinstalled the driver, it alerted me that there was no file for it- like it had been removed; I didn't even have the little touchpad icon in the toolbar. I'm just wondering if it got deleted when IE8 was installing everything. Note: until this upgrade, I've never had any problems with it.

So, tech gurus, suggestions or thoughts?

P.S. Yes, Dave, I know I should just stick with FF.

Edited by TwinOaks

It sounds more like the mouse driver than your browsers. Reinstall that software, if you are using like a logitech mouse which comes with software.

Under advanced options in either browser, there is usually a check box for autoscroll, and smooth scroll, look at those...

Whenever you upgrade, any browser will have some glitch. Firefox is starting to get bloated, and when you use all the extension add ons, like me, it can get pretty flukey.

My list of favorite browsers in order:

Firefox

Opera

Safari

Google Chrome (this one may surpass them all soon, but Google's privacy issues bug me.

IE

Yep- you may even want to go into the control panel> device manager and uninstall the touchpad, reboot and reinstall the drivers. But do what Dave said first. IE isn't so bad, though I can't say I see big improvements with IE8 here.

Johanna

IE isn't so bad, though I can't say I see big improvements with IE8 here.

it's certainly better, but now when trouble shooting, you have to figure out if the browser is using standards or legacy mode :head_hurts_kr:

IE isn't so bad, though I can't say I see big improvements with IE8 here.

Double Yeppers.

The hoopla for '8' says faster, but all I see are a lot of 'safety' options that are more a pain in the posterior than anything else.

IE is awful and still can't pass the acid test - it's utterly useless.

Yeppers... That would be Microslop gearin up the browser for, yes if you guessed it Windows 7 release. The legacy mode you're speakin of is only IE wanting to know if you want to operate the browser in Windows Vista / 7 mode, or standard using a Windows XP operation.

Now, Windows 7 is a big difference compared to Vista slop... They almost, 90% got it right this time. Yep, I'm multi-lingual PC, Mac and Linux OS's... I prefer the latter 2 over Microslop. But, being as I am in the I.T. industry, I have to be certified in at least 2 of the operating systems.

As a technician I have encountered the same problem with IE8 as the first post mentioned on several occasions. The fix is easy like in the 2nd post and the most assured way of solving the problem in a quick amount of time.

:wacko:

Just wondering Knothead but what was wrong with vista? Ive been using vista 64 premium since it came out and since the first service pack it has been outstanding. Far better then windows XP ecspecially XP prior service pack 2.

Windows 7 is not that much different then vista and in all reality I doubt would be anything much more then a vista service pack3 and a face change. Ofcourse everyone has realized that they need to upgrade and the drivers are all ready since they are the same ones from vista with a few tweeks. It wasnt slop, just a change and since XP had been around for so long it was a very hard change. Vista paved the way for 7 to make a easy transition.

The legacy mode you're speakin of is only IE wanting to know if you want to operate the browser in Windows Vista / 7 mode, or standard using a Windows XP operation.

Not quite - we're talking about how it renders webpages, not how it behaves under certain OS's (the OS should never interrupt or alter the render of the page). The different modes have everything to do with standards and trying to render old pages the same as previous versions of the browser. If it sounds redundant and bloated, that's because it is. What a joke.

TwinOaks - installing IE8 isn't really a fix for your lag issue. It (your lag) is caused by something, and depending on what that 'something' is, you may have just carried it over to your new install. Anyway, hope you got your issue sorted!

Considering dickf's advice, I completely uninstalled ie8 and 7, saved all the favs (just in case) and reinstalled a clean version of ie7. Problems went away, and it's back to it's regular speed (which for a 4 year old laptop isn't too bad).

Glad you got it fixed - it sure gets frustrating using a slow machine when you know it was once fast.

As other posters have suggested, you may want to take a long hard look at Firefox (www.mozilla.com/firefox) as a default browser. It's a solid browser without all the bloat, and some of it's available (read: FREE) plugins are great. It's snappy and responsive and you won't need to learn anything new, really.

Actually, I've already got it, with a boatload of plug-ins, and add-ons. I just haven't bothered to tweak it so everything runs just so. <sigh> yet another "To Do".

Honestly Internet Explorer just plain sucks! I have been using Firefox for years with NO problems.

Mooshi

Okay, time to close this one. Mods, padlock please.

I'm not locking it unless it turns into a Fords and Chevys argument. Both browsers have their advantages and their flaws.

Mooshi- please note this is an old thread. I'm hijacking TwinOaks post so I don't bump it again.

Johanna