I generally have about a hundred belts on display, and when the stock gets down to 60%, I have to make new batches.

I've tried western tooled, lined, intricate stamping, all nice, but these are the type of designs more people are willing to pay $24 for at the flea market. These things are probably worth twice that to the right market, but I have to take what I can get right now. PS, I call these the Raleigh line...lol

There are cheaper belts there, in the $16-18 range, with complicated embossed designs, etc, but a few people like the simple and completely handmade belt, still. Once they feel the burnished waxed edge, they're sold.

Most of the new belts were my experiment in dark brown oil dye. I mix the dye with neatsfoot to varying degrees (there's a lot of B&M Bean jars full of different colors), and simply apply with a dauber, sometimes an undershade of lighter/darker, and a cloth overrub... You can get a lot of shades from one color. Going over it twice gets even more shades. There are all kinds of happy accidents, and a lot of methods to it...going over it twice gives one effect...deglazing first gives another...suntanning, another. You get the picture.

I'll be there this weekend, we'll see how they do.

HPIM1992__Large_.JPG

HPIM1990__Large_.JPG

post-5140-1243002591_thumb.jpg

post-5140-1243002614_thumb.jpg

Do you set up in one of the buildings as a "permanent" vendor or do you set a tent in the parking lot. Seems you had a picture up a while back of a tent set up near the park portion of the parking lot down near the arena.

I keep meaning to swing by and see your stuff but weekends always seem so full. We used to go to the flea market at least once a month. It has problaby been a year or more since the last time.

Hope you sell everthing you take out this weekend!

Thanks resqman!

I'm outdoors, usually around spots 263 to 269, come on down! Stay away from the fried Twinkies..

Should be fun selling those belts. They look real nice and I think the people will like them a lot. It's the Nice Price too!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Good looking stuff. How is the last belt in the left photo done? Looks like a creaser was used, but it looks like there are different levels to the leather. Just curious cause that's my favorite one in the picture. Also, do you make the same models in different sizes for fairs and such?

Thanx Bree, and ETW.

Grumpy, that's probably just the depth of the center square stamping giving that illusion.

Rarely do I make the same designs twice, there's always something different about each one.

No, I don't have sized belts. I cut them there. It's too costly to have that many designs in multiple sizes for me. I would love to do that, but if someone wants, I'll make it during the week and bring it the next weekend.

Nice looking belts rdb!!!

Now you made me feel the urge for one for myself and having a lazy day today(=taking care of all stuff I postponed due to leatherwork;-) I feel like starting one. Need a new belt since i'm out of holes anyways!!

Tom

Thanx Tom...get to work. Is it finished yet?

Having a pretty good day here today. Sold some of those belts already.

I met Revshovel here today. He's an LW member. Nice Guy.

Back to fair...

RDB - Great looking belts! We are about to embark on a summer market venture and have no idea how to stock belt sizes...Would you, pretty please, offer your thoughts on the mix that works best for you? It makes my head hurt trying to figure it out. (Blonde moment.) Our design style is a bit different than yours though I imagine we'll be selling to similar customers...any advice would be a huge help. thanks!

ShirleyT, most of mine I cut right here at the fairs. Any requests for customs, I bring the next week. Stocking sizes means hundreds of belts, maybe more, depending on your collection of designs. 3-6 of each size is for a small to medium size festival. BRING LOTS OF LARGE AND EXTRA LARGE. Sometimes I have to use sides to make them for the real big guys.

Like I said, I have about a hundred on display, all with different designs, widths, and colors, and that's not really enough at a busy fair, cause there's always "Do you have one with...?"

RDB - Great looking belts! We are about to embark on a summer market venture and have no idea how to stock belt sizes...Would you, pretty please, offer your thoughts on the mix that works best for you? It makes my head hurt trying to figure it out. (Blonde moment.) Our design style is a bit different than yours though I imagine we'll be selling to similar customers...any advice would be a huge help. thanks!

Hey Dave, just noticed your post - nice looking belts. I was down in NC last weekend. I should have contacted you to see where you were set up.

Yep Ian, you should have...lol

Thanks for the advice... We better get crackin'!

Live Blog from the Raleigh Flea Market:

Today is a slow day, threatened rain but hot all day.

I have sold half of those new ones I just made. They picked right up on them.

Last night at closing resqman stopped by. That makes two nice guys from LW that stopped by, revshovel, and reqman.

LW is cool.

Oh Shirley...ADD NAME BELTS TO THE LIST. I haven't carried them, but a lot of people are asking, so I'll have to make up a dozen or so blanks for certain sizes, stamp em up, and leave a space in the back for stamping a name. "They keep dragging me back in"