BearMan

Pair of Amboyna burl Mauls

Here are a pair of Mauls I made, for one of our members on here. They are a 16oz, & a 10oz, with a stand. The handles are made from some beautiful Amboyna burl, which was supplied by the member. This design uses a hidden retaining nut, to hold everything together, it's a lot cleaner design, than having the acorn nut hanging off the end. The stand is Maple, dyed to look somewhat similar in color to the handles. What do you think??

BTW, The member said I should post the pictures here.

Thanks,,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Kevin_Maul_Set2.jpg

Kevin_Maul_Set3.jpg

Kevin_Maul_Set2.jpg

Kevin_Maul_Set3.jpg

post-7175-1244686369_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1244686386_thumb.jpg

Here are a pair of Mauls I made, for one of our members on here. They are a 16oz, & a 10oz, with a stand. The handles are made from some beautiful Amboyna burl, which was supplied by the member. This design uses a hidden retaining nut, to hold everything together, it's a lot cleaner design, than having the acorn nut hanging off the end. The stand is Maple, dyed to look somewhat similar in color to the handles. What do you think??

BTW, The member said I should post the pictures here.

Thanks,,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Very nice and very expensive choice in wood! I gotta say though, the client has taste! :)

those are beautiful. Excellent work.

Really great job, Ed! The mauls are beautiful and so is the stand. I love the inlaid leather makers stamp....it really looks professional!

Bob

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of these. Ed was great to work and communicate with. Took him just under a week to complete the mauls and stand.

The wood is the amboyna burl and, as you can see, has some awesome grain and burl in it. It just always presents a striking appearance. I've used it on other projects, and have it planned to use on others. It's a very durable wood.

I had been considering for quite some time the purchase of a new maul, as I'm in the process of upgrading some of my tools. After seeing earlier pictures of Ed's work, I knew I wanted one from him. I could only find the wood in a small enough piece to do the two maul handles. So I figured what the heck, let's have two made! The stand became an added necessity, as I did not want these rolling around on the workbench.

Thanks, Ed, for the great work, and I look forward to receiving everything. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks everybody. It was fun making these even though the wood was extreamly hard to turn. Kevin was great to work with, & hopefully he will get them by Sat.

Thanks again, Ed

Great job! Killer mauls.

Sharp sharp tools does smooth, easy turning make!

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Those are AWESOME!

K-Man,

You had the right man for the job. Nice choice of wood too.

Wow! This are very fine Tools! Wow!

Edited by Aulus

Ed,

Your work is fantastic as always. You do quality work on your tools and are a man of his word.

It is great that you do this for your fellow leatherworkers.

vince

Thanks Vince,

I REALLY appreciate that!! I do what I can, after all,,, we're all in this together,,, right?? I would love to see leathercraft, leather art as a whole help all it's artisan get better,,, & better.

Ed

Ed,

Your work is fantastic as always. You do quality work on your tools and are a man of his word.

It is great that you do this for your fellow leatherworkers.

vince

Those are way cool. Thanks for posting this. Only bad thing about this is it makes me want to take up even more hobbies that I wont have time or money for :cheers:

Very Very nice and high quality work,

now leathertooling must be run from alone !!!!!!!!!!!!

greetings

Johann

Beautiful things, Ed. I'd be frightened of damaging them!

Ray

Beautiful things, Ed. I'd be frightened of damaging them!

Ray

I agree with Ray. I'd want to keep them on display behind glass for fear of scratching them! Seriously though, these are truly beautiful.

Dave M

I picked these up the other day from the post office. They are exceptional - much better than some of the other mauls currently available in the marketplace. I got to use the larger one yesterday for a bit, and it was a welcome relief (in weight) from what I had previously been using.

Thanks again, Ed. You did yourself good here. :)

Thanks Kevin,

I really apprecite all the compliments!! It's nice to make things,,, anything,, for people that really appreciate all the time & quality materials that go into them. Thanks again,,, Ed

I picked these up the other day from the post office. They are exceptional - much better than some of the other mauls currently available in the marketplace. I got to use the larger one yesterday for a bit, and it was a welcome relief (in weight) from what I had previously been using.

Thanks again, Ed. You did yourself good here. :)

Truly nice mallets. And the stand is great.

As a woodturner myself, I love to do mallets. It's sorta my kicks these days. Where do you get your hardware. I can see the washers at the top and the bottom of the "vinyl" part but I'd be hard pressed to figure out what you used at the top and bottom of the actual mallet. And what do you use for the striking part and where do you get it?

Thanks a lot. Even for just doing them as they are great inspiration pieces.

Bearman,

I got your PM and thanks a lot for the information. I would have sent a PM myself but your inbox is full. No wonder with work like that you probably do get a lot of emails.

I agree that the acorn nut at the end doesn't look that great but it's probably easier to tighten. I looked for that integral captured nut and I couldn't find anything under that. The reference for the bolt size is worth a lot. It's great info.

It would be interesting to see a maul before it's assembled. That would give me (and probably others) a lot of information on its fabrication. I love what you did to embellished up the washers and the bolt head. All that pounding is that little something that looks easy but isn't really and makes one hell of a difference.

Again thanks a lot for the info. Now I have to gather the ingredients and set myself to work on the lathe.