Sign in to follow this  
budd4766

Aerosol Super Sheen...grrrr

Ok...got this idea of doing a flame job (like you'd see on a car) on some black leather for a project I'm working on. Cut all the pieces, carved and tooled the flames, vinegrooned it (beautiful black), air brushed the flames red with yellow tips and base, (pretty good for a first time air brushing, I thought), and now I'm ready to seal before laciing it all up.

I've had problems before with putting super sheen on...sometimes it'll lift the colors, or smudge them. I know I'm probably more to blame than the sheen, but still, it happens, so I decide I'll try some areosol super sheen. You know, spray it on rather than rub it...good idea, right?

Well, while the black leather and flame job looks AWESOME...shiny as glass, I'm real happy with it....unitl I have to bend the leather to put the parts together.

All that spray-on sheen cracks into a million spider cracks. My beautiful black leather piece has these little white cracks...all over it...grrrr.

No time to redo anything, so I'm hoping when I get it all laced up and I apply another coat of spray, or even some hand-rubbed on sheen it'll blend the cracks in...but I'm not holding my breath.

Not sure if you guys have any suggestions for this...I just more wanted to rant about it than anything. But I'll take any and all advice.

No pictures yet, but I'll post some soon as I can.

Ok...got this idea of doing a flame job (like you'd see on a car) on some black leather for a project I'm working on. Cut all the pieces, carved and tooled the flames, vinegrooned it (beautiful black), air brushed the flames red with yellow tips and base, (pretty good for a first time air brushing, I thought), and now I'm ready to seal before laciing it all up.

I've had problems before with putting super sheen on...sometimes it'll lift the colors, or smudge them. I know I'm probably more to blame than the sheen, but still, it happens, so I decide I'll try some areosol super sheen. You know, spray it on rather than rub it...good idea, right?

Well, while the black leather and flame job looks AWESOME...shiny as glass, I'm real happy with it....unitl I have to bend the leather to put the parts together.

All that spray-on sheen cracks into a million spider cracks. My beautiful black leather piece has these little white cracks...all over it...grrrr.

No time to redo anything, so I'm hoping when I get it all laced up and I apply another coat of spray, or even some hand-rubbed on sheen it'll blend the cracks in...but I'm not holding my breath.

Not sure if you guys have any suggestions for this...I just more wanted to rant about it than anything. But I'll take any and all advice.

No pictures yet, but I'll post some soon as I can.

budd:

could it have been the vinegaroon? i mean, did you treat it with oil after vigarooning it? maybe the oil caused a lack of penetration for the supersheen??? I don't know, just a thought. I've never used vinegaroon but I plan to at some point. This is something for the vinegaroon folks to discuss. (personally, I don't care that much for supershene, either in liquid form or in the spray form- I only use it when neatlac or saddlelac is incompatible with the dyes/antiques, etc that I've applied) i never try to use supershene over water-based dyes & finishes- if I must, I spray it, & then, only with several very light coats, rather than a heavy spray).

russ

No oil on the vinegroon. Nothing at all done to it other than water/baking soda right after it came out of the vin. I didn't oil it for the very reason I was planning to seal it with sheen later.

The problem is, I thought the aerosol super sheen would be flexible...same as the rub-on super sheen, and, obviously, it's not. I've been told that neat-lac would crack the same way. All I know about the difference 'tween the two is they both smell the same coming out of the can.

I have to say, it looked BEAUTIFUL...as long as it stayed flat. I loved the way it looked, and on future projects that won't get much "action", I'd still use it just because it looks so good.

Apparently, you just can't bend it.

I think I would take a small area and lightly wipe on a thin 2nd coat of supersheen. Let it dry & buff. It may blend with the existing 1st coat.

Regis

The same thing happened to me with aerosol Neat-Lac on two small photo book covers. It look really great until I bent the covers and closed them. Cracks everywhere. I tried to clean it up and respray, but it didn't work. I just didn't have to time to redo since they were for my daughter's teachers at the end of school or I would have deglazed it all! I feel your pain.

I also do not like to use super sheen unless I use eco-flo products and in liquid form only. I kinda stay away from the spray stuff. I haven't tried saddle lac or Fiebings flexiable sheen spray, but still a little leary.

Good luck.

had the same problem once. the trick is very light coats and letting each coat dry completely.

I had the same problem. I carved the leather for a pool cue case and used it before I slid the leather over the tubes. When I slid it over them it did the same thing.

Apparently, you just can't bend it.

Another stupid question from me: could it be sprayed after it was bent & fixed in place?

russ

Another stupid question from me: could it be sprayed after it was bent & fixed in place?

russ

Not a stupid question at all. It could be sprayed after it was all assembled, but the end product would be used...meaning flexed all to heck and back by the customer, so I would imagine that would only prolong the inevitable and wind up having to be replaced...(bad customer experience and all that to boot).

I think from now on, I'm going to just use super sheen from the bottle, and when I have a fear of messing some color up, I'll just air brush it on. I thought the spray can of sheen would eliminate that step, but, sadly, it ain't workin'.

Live and learn.

Hi... Actually, I'm wondering if you didn't get the super sheen on a bit heavy... I've never had that stuff crack in all my years... The stuff in the spray can is properly thinned to prevent that. (supposedly) But if you really coat it heavily, and it dries thoroughly, I could see where that might happen. You might consider Masters quick shine... It's a spray, and I've never been able to get that stuff to crack... It's not as shiny as the super shene tho. Ever since they switched from the old Tandy formula, super shene has just not been the same. I'm kinda doubtful that it will work out, but I wish you the best!

Kevin