UKRay

Negative feedback on eBay used as a way to damage a business

I am currently embroiled in a wrangle with eBay to get some negative feedback removed from my eBay shop. It was left by a guy who ordered one of my strops and then 'claimed' it hadn't been delivered. I pointed out that I had a proof of posting but he wouldn't accept that so I gave him an instant (within 5 days of sending the goods) refund and, in the light of his unpleasant manner, told him he wasn't welcome to buy from me again. He subsequently left me negative (and untrue) feedback.

I didn't find out until recently that he is a UK leatherworker and knifemaker from Nottingham - so why the heck was he buying a strop from me? I can't help but feel that he was out to damage my business in some way. I have never met the guy so I really have no idea what his motive might have been but I'm very upset by the whole business.

Right now I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they did about it?

When Ebay made the feedback changes, the biggest vendor uproar ever happened. From what I understand, it's nigh impossible to undo bad comments. The treatment of users/vendors has fallen far below standards that would tempt me into using ebay again. Other topics here have discussed the whole ebay thing. You were one of their few defenders in those topics. But, because of your success there, I sure do hope you get this rectified soon. "Rectum, Nearly killed 'em"

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Give 'em hell.

Thanks, Dave, I really appreciate your support.

Strangely, I do still feel that eBay is a great selling tool if it is used correctly but having no defence against thieves and people out to badmouth you means the whole thing is wearing a bit thin.

I'm pleased to say my new e-commerce site is almost ready to go - in fact, I have already had a few customers! Hopefully the website sales will replace and exceed the eBay sales.

Ray

Ray

it's a case of sleeping with the enemy eBay is a ok place to sale IMHO butthey don't look at any case with a spot of sence I am at this very moment intangeled with a eBay mess of sorts I listed a item for a second time that item that is,

and under the idea that there was no charge for relisting and low and behold a $ 8.50 charge hits me and I didn't sell. so under faults marketing I useded them agian and all for what so they could beat me up and now there saying they will turn me over to the fbi or some such crap I am not paying and I am not using but as Dave said you have had good times on eBay and I hope you work this out. you don't need this and the bad guys win

but that's life.

So Ray GIVE'M HELL

Josh

I'm pleased to say my new e-commerce site is almost ready to go - in fact, I have already had a few customers! Hopefully the website sales will replace and exceed the eBay sales.

That's always been one of the dangers of selling through hosted venues like Ebay, Etsy, et. al. The feedback system unfortunately rewards all the petty backbiters out there, and some of them are mean enough to think nothing of trashing the reputation of someone who has done good business for years.

I think you're on the right track just building your own site. Then your customers will have to come to you directly to resolve any problems, which is what they should do, anyway. I've sold far more from my own site than all the hosted venues I've sold from put together, even with my own site in bad need of updating and lack of much in the way of promoting. Once you get established, you'll do fine.

Kate

Ray, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been on the other end of the tale though. When I ordered my singer 66, it wasn't nearly as 'clean' as was described and due to the lack of sufficient packaging, there was some damage to the machine. I posted truthful comments about the shipment and listed them as "neutral". Next thing I know I was lamblasted by the seller for "negative" feedback! I checked and sure enough, it was listed as negative. The seller then persued me via ebay trying to damage my rating. That was enough for me, and I haven't been back for anything other than browsing.

As far as protection from false claims like you described, I think it's worth the extra money to ship "signature required". I read a thread on another forum about a guy who is allegedly defrauding people. He stated in an email (made public by the site's admin) that he prints a shipping label immediately upon receipt of funds. That way it doesn't matter when (or if) he ships, there's a paper trail showing that he shipped it!!!!

Signature receipt of shipment protects the shipper and proves that the package was delivered.

Good luck with your ecommerce site, Ray.

I've given up of eBay for the same reasons stated here. I am starting up again on Auctiva and HiBidder. They're both upstarts, but loaded with disenchanted eBayers. HiBidder has free stores and the fees are very low. They even started me out with a $500 credit towards fees.

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for a few years now and have my share of idiots. I've been scammed a few times. When I sell an item, I always ask for delivery confirmation. There are always those who are selling the same thing which will try to make your's look bad. Not much you can do. Best thing is to encourage questions and answer them pronto. I was interested in buying a new set of saddle bags and asked the seller where they were made (I wanted USA made). No response so I didn't bid. Still looking.

Don't give up on it. Honest people will get negative f/b. Smart buyers will check the f/b to see who left what comment. I usually check the negative feedback person just to see if they are just miserable people and leave it for everyone.

G'Day from Western Australia,

I've had numerous customers saying that I should put my wares on ebay, I 've seriously considered it a few times , but after reading some of the things that has happened here, well ...?... I'm not so sure now. I know I shouldn't be put off altogether by some bad experiences , however , in UK Rays case, Ray's done absolutely nothing wrong.

I do hope everything works out really well for you mate .Good Luck!!!. :cowboy:

Perhaps ebay is slowly losing its 'shine'? ...and maybe the guy in Nottingham might just get his comeuppence?

All the best

HS

I'm also not crazy about Ebay, but I have to use them from time to time for advertising. I just don't think Etsy.com has wide enough exposure, yet. I'd like to make my website look more professional and either have a link to Etsy for currently available items or have my own store.

That said, Ebay has a new promotion or continuing policy -- don't know which -- that is difficult to resist. In a 30-day period,the first 5 items you list are free of listing fees. You will pay only 8.75 percent or $20, whichever is lower, of the final selling price.

If this policy will be continuing, I will advertise with Ebay every 30-day period

I'm beginning to think that a leather only site in an Etsy-like format might be worthwhile. Leather is something that people search for specifically. I think such a site would direct a lot of traffic. This is something that will exist eventually. Whose going to be the first to get it off the ground? We've had discussions before about the disadvantages of having such a site affiliated or connected with Leatherworker.net, which is probably a bad idea,so such a site would have to be independent.

ed