troy

making a whip

8/9/09

Thanks very much, Handmadewhips. I really appreciate what you've told me. I did order Ron Edwards' Whips and Whipmaking. I love it. Still, I could have used more details and examples regarding the handles. I've bought two Hickory hammer handles at a hardware store, and I'm carving down one of them. I don't think that I'll put the metal rod in my first whip. Can it still be a good whip handle even without a metal rod? - TexasLady

You can make a good whip that has no handle at all... A snake whip has no riged handle and is flexable from Knot to tip.

If your going to braid over the handle then I would say yes use the rod. But it sounds like your going to use a wood handle. In that case. The easiest way to go about it, if you don't have a lathe, is to just drill a hole in the end and screw in a bolt then grind off the top. Then you can attach the leather to that.

skip

(ps) Sorry TexasLady. I looked back on the thread and I did give you the wrong name of the book.. :) sorry... Morgan's book is Whips & whipmaking. my bad.

Edited by Handmadewhips

8/10/09

Dear HandMadeWhips,

That's okay about the book title. But is there an Edit button? It seems like I saw one here on this forum a while back, but I wasn't able to find it this time.

Back to the whip handles,... okay, yes, I've seen the Snake whips. Right now, they don't interest me. I'm wanting to know if I can make a good whip using a wooden handle, but without inserting a metal rod in the wooden handle. I'm anxious to get started doing the braiding that covers the wooden handle. But if not inserting a metal rod will cause the whip to not be 'valued', then I'll just have to hold off on the braiding,... drag out the drill, set up the metal vise, and drag out the hack-saw. You may have deducted by now that my workshop isn't completely set up yet. Thanks for all your kindly given information. - TexasLady

8/10/09

Dear HandMadeWhips,

That's okay about the book title. But is there an Edit button? It seems like I saw one here on this forum a while back, but I wasn't able to find it this time.

Back to the whip handles,... okay, yes, I've seen the Snake whips. Right now, they don't interest me. I'm wanting to know if I can make a good whip using a wooden handle, but without inserting a metal rod in the wooden handle. I'm anxious to get started doing the braiding that covers the wooden handle. But if not inserting a metal rod will cause the whip to not be 'valued', then I'll just have to hold off on the braiding,... drag out the drill, set up the metal vise, and drag out the hack-saw. You may have deducted by now that my workshop isn't completely set up yet. Thanks for all your kindly given information. - TexasLady

The edit button only works if you get back to it shortly after making the post and before someone has opened it up to read. I think that's the way it was explained to me.

Now to the second part. You should decide if you want a handle like those that Skip makes where the thong starts from the end (nearly the end) of the wooden handle, which is shaped and probably weighted. Or do you want a handle that is completely covered by the plaiting?

If it is the latter, you will want to use a steel rod that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's etc. If you look around, you can find them in 1/4" x 12" lengths. Or you can get a hacksaw with a 32T blade and cut it to length. Look in the hardware section for 8" spikes also. This is what David Morgan uses for his handle foundation.

This will allow you to make a whip handle that people can actually get their hand around. The reason I say this is because if you plait over a hammer handle you are going to add four thicknesses of your leather over the hammer handle. To see what this will end up being, wrap the handle twice with your leather that will be used to make the whip. In all fairness, you want a finished whip handle that is no bigger in diameter than that unfinished hammer handle or even a little smaller. Remember in whips and whip handles "bigger is not always better" especially if you are going to use that whip a lot. For example: the Indy whips made by David Morgan have a handle that is about 7/8" in diameter. Some are larger but not much over 1-1/16". It will cut down on fatigue when using the whip.

Good Luck.

Jerry

formerly R-in-Texas Whips now in Wisconsin

It is also important to keep in mind what type of wood you are using for your handle. The steel rod serves as a type of shock absorber. If you use an old broom handle you will need to insert a rod into it, but if you use a denser wood you will not. I would recommend finding a wood working store around your area and get some hardwood dowels for your handle cores this way no rod will be needed.

Edited by The Major

8/10/09

Dear Jerry,

I think that you're right about the Edit button. Right after I posted that last post of mine, there was the elusive Edit button right below what I'd written. But it sure hadn't been there when I was wanting to correct the name of the book that I've been reading.

On the whip handles,... let's back up to my post from yesterday,... Here's what I wrote:

"I've bought two Hickory hammer handles at a hardware store, and I'm carving down one of them. I don't think that I'll put the metal rod in my first whip. Can it still be a good whip handle even without a metal rod?"

I've used a wood chisel and a rasp to carve down one of the Hickory hammer handles. It no longer looks like a hammer handle, because I've carved it down.

I do appreciate the information that you've given me on the best size for a whip handle. Also, thanks for the information on which hacksaw blade to use. I don't have David Morgan's book yet, so it was interesting to find out that he uses 1/4" x 12" steel rods. But the whole focus of my question, at this time, is whether or not I can AVOID using a metal rod in my first whip handle, and yet produce a good whip. I'll consult everything that you've told me, though, for when I can no longer avoid having to put a steel rod in my whip handle,... probably the next one that I make.

I don't know yet whether or not I'll be covering the whole handle with braidwork.

Thanks.

Dear Major,

Since Hickory is a hardwood, I'm hoping that I won't have to use a metal rod in my first whip handle. So, what you wrote was a comfort to me. I've seen some good hardwood dowels at a Lowe's hardware store. In fact, I had one in my hand and was carrying it around with me, but I put it back and didn't buy it, opting in favor of the Hickory hammer handles. It was oak. The Encyclopedia of Braiding recommended a 3/4" x 14" piece of wood. My Hickory hammer handle is 17 1/2" long. But it has a slit at the small end, so once that is removed, the handle will be 16 1/2" long.

Everybody,

On a slightly different subject,

Why is the ball-shaped 'knob' at the end of some whip handles made by wrapping that end of the handle in leather rather than just carving the wood itself into a ball-shaped 'knob' on the end of the handle? I should mention here that I'm an artist and enjoy carving. I wouldn't mind wrapping some leather over the 'knob' before covering it with braiding, but wouldn't it be sturdier to make the 'knob' from the wood itself, rather than attaching a strip of leather, wrapping it around, and fastening it in place?

- TexasLady

Edited by TexasLady

I think that jerryrwm has given you some sound advice...

if your looking to make a "quick" whip just to get the feel for whipmaking than the Hickory wood is plenty strong enough for a handle... If you leave the wood exposed just carve down one end into a point about 5inchs long, this is what you will be attaching your leather to. First 4plait about 2inches up. Second 4 or 6 plait about 4inches up then bolster and overlay braid 5 inches up, with the rest of the wood as your exposed handle.... This will make you a quick serviceable whip...

Most whips that have plaited handles have steel as a foundation. The knot on the end is used as a decorative end and functions as a grip. Some whipmakers use lead tape to give the back end of the whip some extra weight and the knot covers this... On the wood handle bulls I make I don't carve the top because "I'm the worst wood carver ever." :)

hope this helps.

skip

I think that jerryrwm has given you some sound advice...

if your looking to make a "quick" whip just to get the feel for whipmaking than the Hickory wood is plenty strong enough for a handle... If you leave the wood exposed just carve down one end into a point about 5inchs long, this is what you will be attaching your leather to. First 4plait about 2inches up. Second 4 or 6 plait about 4inches up then bolster and overlay braid 5 inches up, with the rest of the wood as your exposed handle.... This will make you a quick serviceable whip...

Most whips that have plaited handles have steel as a foundation. The knot on the end is used as a decorative end and functions as a grip. Some whipmakers use lead tape to give the back end of the whip some extra weight and the knot covers this... On the wood handle bulls I make I don't carve the top because "I'm the worst wood carver ever." :)

hope this helps.

skip

8/11/09

Dear HandMadeWhips,

You're such a helpful person. I will certainly keep that advice you've given me and those measurements for making a "quick" yet serviceable whip. Actually, I was wanting to make a really pretty, fancy whip. And I want it to be strong enough to be valued. But maybe making it 'pretty' is a little over-ambitious for my first whip. I probably just need to stop 'over-thinking' it and jump on in and start 'making' it.

Thanks,

TexasLady

8/11/09

HandMadeWhips,

One more thing,... Where do I get the Lead Tape? And, do you think that the toxicity of the lead could be endangering the health of the user? Is it a 'sticky tape' that just sticks to the wood as it is wrapped around it?

- TexasLady

8/11/09

HandMadeWhips,

One more thing,... Where do I get the Lead Tape? And, do you think that the toxicity of the lead could be endangering the health of the user? Is it a 'sticky tape' that just sticks to the wood as it is wrapped around it?

- TexasLady

I don't use lead tape myself so I don't know where to get it... as for its toxicity; lead (for the most part) is toxic only when it enters the blood stream.. see- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning -for more info about it....

skip

I don't use lead tape myself so I don't know where to get it... as for its toxicity; lead (for the most part) is toxic only when it enters the blood stream.. see- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning -for more info about it....

skip

8/11/09

HandmadeWhips,

That was a good link. It said that "dermal exposure" isn't considered a significant pathway into the body, but then it also said, "Lead may be taken in through direct contact with mouth, nose, and eyes (mucous membranes); and breaks in the skin." I'd like an easy way to put weight on a whip handle, as much as anybody, but I won't go this route because I'd worry about it later. Thanks for answering.

-TexasLady

8/11/09

HandmadeWhips,

That was a good link. It said that "dermal exposure" isn't considered a significant pathway into the body, but then it also said, "Lead may be taken in through direct contact with mouth, nose, and eyes (mucous membranes); and breaks in the skin." I'd like an easy way to put weight on a whip handle, as much as anybody, but I won't go this route because I'd worry about it later. Thanks for answering.

-TexasLady

You can use the silver duct tape - the metallic duct tape, not the grey duck tape. It won't add much weight, but then again you don't usually need much to help balance a whip. If you are using the wooden handle, drill a pilot hole and you can secure a piece of steel sprike in place. Cut it off flush with your handle and then tie a pineapple knot on the butt end to cover it.

8/13/09

Jerry,

When you drill that pilot hole, you put the wooden handle in a vise first, right?

I just picked up Dan Edwards 'Whips and Whipmaking' from my local library. A couple of weeks ago, I filled out a paper form, gave them my library card number, and the librarians sent it off to find a library that would loan me a copy of this book. I got a message on my phone yesterday that said it had come in and to come pick it up. Voila! And I'm so excited. On page 87 of his book is exactly what I was looking for. This is the shape into which I'd carved my Hickory hammer handle! It's just what I was wanting to make. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the book and that was the first thing that I saw!

TexasLady

Edited by TexasLady

8/14/09

Oops! That book, Whips and Whipmaking, is by Dan Morgan. (At least I'm improving,... I got half of his name right this time.)

TexasLady

8/14/09

Oops! That book, Whips and Whipmaking, is by Dan Morgan. (At least I'm improving,... I got half of his name right this time.)

TexasLady

Well you are getting closer. His name is David Morgan. :whatdoyouthink: The other guy's name is Ron Edwards who wrote "How To Make Whips". Also check out David's other book Braiding Fine Leather.

Jerry

8/15/09

ROFL

TexasLady

I looked this up a while ago.

It's a brilliant tutorial piece, with some interesting methods of construction. Actually very light on material required compared to the designs I use.

But I agree with the bolster argument, I don't like using them myself.

The link given to the tutorial in the original post no longer works. Does anyone happen to have it and can post it here please?

Thanks very nice tutorial !!!

The link given to the tutorial in the original post no longer works. Does anyone happen to have it and can post it here please?

I believe, the author took the tutorial & published it - I have to imagine in order to make money he removed it and the permissions for people to repost it.

The book uses whip in question shown in this picture - with slightly better photo quality...additionally, you can buy the book on amazon.com ...

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Lace-Bullwhip-Paul-Carpenter/dp/1447885562/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431011402&sr=1-8&keywords=How+to+Make+Whips+%28Bushcraft%29

Edited by sos

I believe, the author took the tutorial & published it - I have to imagine in order to make money he removed it and the permissions for people to repost it.

The book uses whip in question shown in this picture - with slightly better photo quality...additionally, you can buy the book on amazon.com ...

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Lace-Bullwhip-Paul-Carpenter/dp/1447885562/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431011402&sr=1-8&keywords=How+to+Make+Whips+%28Bushcraft%29

Yeah, I will NEVER buy that book so he can just keep it. :)

I think it's wrong to freely offer a tutorial on here (gathering everyone else's free editing advice) and then remove the post so you can make a buck so I will not be promoting that behavior by buying that book...ever. :)