Leather Bum

Deerskin Supplier?

Where do you like to purchase deerskin?

I have some "economy" grade black deerskin from TLF, and it bleeds when wet. . . Is this typical, or is there deerskin available that doesn't bleed much? I don't know much about deerskin, so I'm looking for feedback on where others are buying it.

Micah

Search the web for":Spotted Pony" fine folks to do business with.

Hi.... Bleeding color is not typical. (and not good) 99 % of the time, whoever tans that leather knows that there might be a color bleeding issue before he sells it. Whoever buys it will normally get a super good price because of that. :) We also sell deerskin.

Kevin

Great! Thanks Luke and Kevin. I appreciate the information. I think these are the guys you're referring to, Luke? Spotted Pony Traders. I believe Fox Valley Leather used to sell a variety of deerskin too, but it looks like they are not around anymore. . .

Thank you again, and if anyone else has other sources, feel free to add them here as well!

Micah

Edited by Leather Bum

Try www.hideandfur.com I use their elk for making shirts and pants, top quality stuff.

Where do you like to purchase deerskin?

I have some "economy" grade black deerskin from TLF, and it bleeds when wet. . . Is this typical, or is there deerskin available that doesn't bleed much? I don't know much about deerskin, so I'm looking for feedback on where others are buying it.

Micah

Eidnes Furs

St. Maries, Idaho

208-245-4753

I have been getting deer and elk hides from these folks for 20 years and can tell you that I have never been disapointed. They have different grades for various project types and colors. They have garment weight and heavy weight for clothing, mocs, bags, and whatever you can dream of.

Here are some samples of you can do with a higher quality buckskin.

Jim

Buckskin_Dress.jpg

Salazar.jpg

Mocassin_Boots.JPG

post-141-1250342527_thumb.jpg

post-141-1250342542_thumb.jpg

post-141-1250342711_thumb.jpg