rdb

My new Ride

'88 HD 883 Sportster Deluxe. 4700 original miles.

This thing roars!

I plan to lower it, give a little more rake for better handling, and a bigger tank for longer rides.

But mostly, it's got me figuring what leathers to make first...saddlebags, solo seat, grips, chaproll...don't know where to start, but it sure is fun thinking about it.

Haven't seen a bike thread in awhile, show us your babies....

PS. the new attachment stuff is great!!!! And the Preview shows pictures...much better than before!!

HPIM2193 (Large).JPG

HPIM2194 (Large).JPG

HPIM2195 (Large).JPG

HPIM2196 (Large).JPG

HPIM2197 (Large).JPG

post-5140-125124267698_thumb.jpg

post-5140-125124268458_thumb.jpg

post-5140-125124269205_thumb.jpg

post-5140-125124269817_thumb.jpg

post-5140-125124270368_thumb.jpg

*More* rake for better handling? Not sure I see where you're going there... seems to me more rake would make cornering less easy, not more. I've only been riding a couple of years, though.

This is my baby, Boudicca, named after the Icenian warrior queen. She's a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, my second bike, and the one I'll be keeping for a good long while.

2473260530_a8e3dda915_o.jpg

I've added a sissy bar, luggage rack, and windshield since I took this pictures. Golly those pipes are shiny... I should give her a bath one of these days, but I'm having too much fun riding!

That's a beauty!. I like the sweep of the tank.

The stock sportster is a short 7'. When you turn, the back wants to overide the front wheel, and the bike wants to stand upright through the turn, making it a sometimes, an awkward thing. A little rake helps the bike sort of lean into the turn. Not much, 4-5 degrees. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. lol

I rode for twenty years, but it's been 25 years since then. I'm a bit rusty, and my figgerin might be outdated, probably "old school" is what it is. Flat black, y'all!

Did I tell you, your bike is beautiful...lol

PS: Boudica, the Irish Warrior is a distant relative of mine.....that an a quarter, I suppose.

*More* rake for better handling? Not sure I see where you're going there... seems to me more rake would make cornering less easy, not more. I've only been riding a couple of years, though.

This is my baby, Boudicca, named after the Icenian warrior queen. She's a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, my second bike, and the one I'll be keeping for a good long while.

I've added a sissy bar, luggage rack, and windshield since I took this pictures. Golly those pipes are shiny... I should give her a bath one of these days, but I'm having too much fun riding!

Edited by rdb

It looks great! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Art

1988, and 4000 miles on it? That's amazing! did somebody forget they had it?

Nice bike. I've got a Honda VTX 1300, that I'm slowly making some leather's for. Hopefully I can post something in the next few months.

It looks great! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Art

Thanx Art, FredF.

I know, 4700!. Can you believe it?

Well you can add a few hundred today to it. we rode 8 bikes all the hell over half of NC today. They beat this old man up, I tell you. Them long curvy country roads....

Right off the bat, I need to get me a bigger tank...lol

I've got my leathers figured out now, though. Once I figure out the new seat, and how it all fits, I'll start on making them.

Fred, be sure to post your pix once you get started.

Same for anybody else watching this thread. Let's see what you've got going...

My only mistress 1974 FLH with 5 speed kick only ..STA78582.jpg

Congrats rdb, always good to see a brother return to the fold. I've got a Aero 750 and my wife has a Spirit 750. The Aero is in the process of getting all new leathers this month so she's a little bare right now. Named Cherie after the black hearted B**ch that talked me into getting a smaller-than-I-wanted bike and then broke things off shortly after. A few more mods and my Cherie will be the better looking of the two (and this one is more loyal) haha.

post-10543-045057500 1307552231_thumb.jp

post-10543-098061100 1307552635_thumb.jp

post-10543-013315300 1307552650_thumb.jp

P.S. - rdb, if you decide to get rid of the original tank after upgrading, drop me a line. I might be interested if the price is right.