The new and improved board is so slow that I am trending away from visiting. Why has it slowed down so much? Are there any settings that I can change to help this?

Bear, I have to say I'm feeling the same way. I heard using Firefox as a browser makes it faster; but I've yet to try it.

Bear we are working to bring the board back to its usual speed. We needed to do this upgrade for the improved security, and we ran into a glitch where the Internet Explorer browser isn't playing nice with the new forum software. Other than that, most people seem to like the new features and flexibility, and we hope everyone will give us a little time to fix the problems before they consider leaving. We have tried to build a board that is easy and convenient to use, and serves the needs of our members. Our first priority is making sure the leatherworkers are happy!

Your patience is deeply appreciated.

Johanna

tip: if you need a LW fix, scroll to the bottom of the page and use the drop down menu to click "lo fi" instead of our default "comfy" skin. It's not fancy, but you can see all the content. ;)

Count me in on this. I realize patience is a virtue, though.

I see that the question has been asked who is still having trouble (citizenkate I believe). I can see the posting in the new right side box, but have no idea how to get there.

The site is so slow I could spend hours here looking at an hour glass waiting and still get no where. It also locks up my computer. I have no trouble on any other site. I do not know what browser I have or how to tell. I think it was upgraded to 8 a while ago, but not sure. I have a cable modem, it must be even worse for those on dial-up. My computer is about 5 years old, running XP, half a gig of Ram. I realize the new software is suposed to do more, but if it locks all of the computers that are not new, it seems to be a problem.

Aaron

Edited by electrathon

I don't think the problem is with your computer, Aaron, because as you have observed, the problem does not occur on any other sites. I am seeing the same thing on my own IE browser (although I use FireFox normally), so I can vouch for it. There is definitely still something here on this site that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the info, it helps us determine if we're making any progress.

Kate

Thanks for the information on this problem. I will indeed be patient as I really like the site and do want to stray away.

Just signed in. New colors, running IE8 still really slow. Not complaining just posting after i've seen changes.

Charlie

Just signed on to another new look, but everythings back to normal speedwise. Thank you, thank you thankyou thankyouthankyou!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback and your patience, people... I hope all the theme switches aren't too confusing. We have narrowed the IE freeze problem down to the previous theme we were using. We plan to fix it if we can, but meanwhile, Johanna installed another theme that we tested with all the browsers and is working much better. We will put the gold-colored theme back when we get the kinks worked out of it.

Charlie, is the slowness you are experiencing occurring while the pages are loading, or after the pages have loaded?

Thanks,

Kate

Just signed in. New colors, running IE8 still really slow. Not complaining just posting after i've seen changes.

Charlie

Seems like for me it's actually slower with the bluish screen than it was with the brown one. Yesterday I timed it and it took right around one minute for a page to change from when I clicked a button till I could read the next screen. It also seems like for me it's slower if I am signed in than if I am not. I didn't see any noticable difference when I installed Google Chrome yesterday, so for me, I am guessing it could be that this is as fast as my internet connection is going to let it get. I cant believe you both dont have concussions yet from banging your heads on the table. I would have given up long ago!!

After the home page loads if I click on a recent comment it takes around 1 minute for the page to load. Once the page is loaded if I back page it's a lot faster, but anything on the home page I click on takes a minute to load. On another tab I just tried going into a forum took 1 minute to get there. Once there everything is normal! When in the forum anything I click on changes at a normal speed. It seems to be related to the home page.

Charlie

Just my opinion but, for what I paid for a years worth of constantly changing information of this kind beats any book or library I've ever seen. I certainly couldn't put together a site like this and keep everyone happy....

thanks, and hats off to the ladies....:spoton:

joe

It's a little faster for me today as well.

I took 19 seconds for the main page to open the first time a few minutes ago. Consistantly, 15 seconds yesterday, so that is slower. Then took 10 seconds to open this post, so a little faster. As a comparison, I clicked into a number of links, and in general most open in 2-3 seconds tops.

Aaron

Well at 3:35am everything is back to normal. Even clicking from the home page to a forum. Speed is like it used to be. I'm glad the speed picked up, because I spend a lot of time reading old posts for info. Thanks Guys(Girls)!!

Charlie