JoeS

uploading pics

Hi,

I must have some setting or something wrong, or maybe it's firefox, but when I click the attach button below to upload pics, it acts like a dead link....nothing happens. I'm running win98 with a cable connection. Any suggestions?

thanks,

joe

Well, I've updated Flash Player and read what I could find about uploading and even replied to my own post in the hope some other options might be available but no go. I clicked on the Try Switching To Our Basic Uploader link but it just leads me to my manage attachments area of my options with nothing I could find to get pics to it. The thing that gets me is I've been able to upload in other posts and I can't figure out if it's me or not. Anyone else have this problem? I hope I'm not missing something simple.

joe

Hi Kate,

I updated Java, restarted and dumped my temp files....still no go, but I did get a green "loading" box at the top of the page that never finished. Reloaded the page....no go. I went back to the Java site and tested my download and went thru their checklist to make sure everything is enabled and I seem to be good. I also thought Adblock Plus in Firefox might be doing something so I disabled it....no go....reloaded the page and still nothing. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with my firewall but I'm open to any suggestions now. Any other ideas?

thanks,

joe

Hi Kate,

I updated Java, restarted and dumped my temp files....still no go, but I did get a green "loading" box at the top of the page that never finished. Reloaded the page....no go. I went back to the Java site and tested my download and went thru their checklist to make sure everything is enabled and I seem to be good. I also thought Adblock Plus in Firefox might be doing something so I disabled it....no go....reloaded the page and still nothing. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with my firewall but I'm open to any suggestions now. Any other ideas?

thanks,

joe

Hi Joe. Java, Flash, AdBlock, etc have nothing to do with the file uploader. So let's get you squared away...

Picture 1.png

See the Browse... button? Click that button to go and look for the file you'd like to attach. Select it, and you should be left back at this same screen, but with the file's path in the text box. Then click the Attach This File button. Once the file gets sent to lw.net and uploaded, you can then insert it into your posts by clicking 'Add to Post' Picture 2.png

If this workflow doesn't work for you, let us know what happens instead.

post-6346-125553301899_thumb.png

post-6346-125553320901_thumb.png

Edited by dickf

Hey dickf,

Nope, no browse button....under the box I'm typing in now, on the lower left there is a grey bar with the word attachments in it, just like the pic you posted....just below that there's a black bar/button with Click To Attach Files in it, also just like your pic, but without the browse box in between the two....when I click it nothing happens and it acts like a dead link or type that has no link. I hope I didn't fall into a black hole....

joe

That is odd. Can you go here: http://project107.net/public/test.htm and see if you see the file input?

I also noticed that you said you were running Win98, which made me laugh out loud. You should really consider updating to XP, for safety's sake.

Joe, have you tried using Internet Explorer? I had a friend test the uploading on a win 98 in IE and it went fine. I don't know enough about Firefox to be much help there.

Johanna

Also, Joe, could you try temporarily switching to the "Lo-Fi" theme and let us know if you still see the problem? If that "fixes" it, then there may be a problem with the regular theme that could be producing this effect with some browsers.

Kate

Joe,

If you do not see the browse button then you have the Flash uploader enabled. If you go to the Posting Settings and uncheck the box "Enable flash uploader" - turn it off and this should make the browse button reappear that dickf mentioned.

You did not mention the version of Firefox that you have either. I tested on a virtual Win98 machine with SP2 that has 256 MB memory, Firefox 3.5.3 and the flash uploader disabled and it worked. I guess that brings up lots of other questions about how much RAM, page file size and % used ...assuming the obvious that there is no malware or viruses on the machine (up to date antivrus and anti0malware software running and machine recently checked for any infiltrations).

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

wow, you guys are awesome,

dickf, I see you, browse box and all....and hey, my pleasure if I can get a smile outta someone....actually I have another machine I store my treasures on that is not connected to the internet....this is my original baby, with kerio firewall, spybot, avg (which recently quit supporting 98se) and a few various cleaners and such....brought her back from the dead many times....lol....thx

Kate....I have Firefox version 2.0.0.20....the last one supporting 98 I think....they're at 3. something now I believe. thx

Johanna, I have come to dislike microsoft and their swiss cheese software so much that I refuse to use IE....I have uploaded pics onto the site with Firefox before and if I can, I'd like to find out what changed....I like the underdog and I'd like to see if I can keep the ol' buggy running till I can afford another....thx

Kate, I tried the Lo-Fi and it says that " You cannot manage attachments using the Lo Fi theme" thx

gtwister09, my handy dandy Everest Home Edition tells me I have an Intel Pentium 3 with 450MHz and 512 MB SDRAM....not sure what you mean about page file size but the %CPU that Firefox is using right now is around 15%, if that's what you mean....in the last few days I've run scans in safe mode with spybot and Dr. Web Cureit and can't find anything....one thing though, when I tried to update Java thru the console I kept getting this error message....

JRE-6U15-WINDOWS-I586-IFTW_7319BB8D caused a stack fault in module JRE-6U15-WINDOWS-I586-IFTW_7319BB8D.EXE at 0167:0040379e.

Registers:

EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=0040379e EFLGS=00010206

EBX=005e2096 SS=016f ESP=005e2000 EBP=005e2024

ECX=00001de6 DS=016f ESI=000070ba FS=515f

EDX=000070d6 ES=016f EDI=006dc90c GS=7157

Bytes at CS:EIP:

53 8b 5d 0c 56 8b 75 08 8b 46 04 89 4d e4 8b 4d

Stack dump:

00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 005e2044 00409bf7 006dc90c 00000138 00001de6 00000fc8 005e204c

I went to their site and downloaded the file manually but it says I already have it installed, so I thought I was good....I'm open to any suggestions except hitting this thing with a 2 lb. hammer....I'll try unchecking "Enable flash uploader" after I post this because I'm afraid I'll lose all this one finger typing....

thanks everyone,

joe

Tha

Joe,

Most likely it is a corrupt java install as denoted by the module message and stack trace dump or it could be a bad memory module. I would consider first uninstalling java and making sure it is clean in the registry as well. Then performing a reinstall. If that doesn't correct your problem then try a memory utility that will exercise your memory.

Regards,

Ben

gtwister09, thankyou.....I'll uninstall Java tomorrow and hope I can get it out of the registry....I didn't get much that I could understand in a search for stack faults...do you have a memory utility link you would recomend?

noahdfear, thanks for the link....the site seemed to know I had win98....picked my update....I bet they could know my s.s. number easier....I'll look for that update....

thanks,

joe

WooHoo....I think I'm back in business....it turned out to be the "Enable flash uploader" checkbox....I wasn't looking forward to reinstalling Java and maybe having to dig bits out of the registry like I thought I would and it turned out to be something simple....like my Grandma used to say, if it was a snake it woulda bit me.....a round of cool adult beverages for the house barkeep!....

thankyou everyone....

joe

:notworthy::cheers:

purse laying03.jpg

post-8283-125569252522_thumb.jpg

just seeing if i can figure this out!

just seeing if i can figure this out!..ta daa!....got it,maybe...

PICT0596.jpg

post-5667-12678451406_thumb.jpg

Edited by justken